Sl o' BL!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN
I got a call from my wife's cousin down the street. He's got several dead or dying BL that he wants to take out. We cut a couple yesterday, but only bucked the biggest one, which we had to drop into his yard. It was a hard leaner. I was concerned about a potential barber chair, and I thought I would leave a center strap holding the tree, then cut that out last. Well, I made the face cut too deep after the top cut came in past the bottom and I had to cut the bottom cut deeper (that is my tendency.) So then I thought "This BL is tough stuff, probably won't 'chair' on me." I went for the entire back cut and it fell OK. Whew!

This was about 24" where I cut it, about chest-high. You can see how fat the hinge was (a good 2") when the tree started to go and I got out of there. I dropped it across a couple of Sassafras logs, one of which you can see cut up on the left. That made for easy bucking of the BL trunk. I split the Sass rounds in half and used them to support a couple of pallets I threw down to stack on.
The wettest bottom trunk pieces metered out at 26%. Some of the upper branches were already brown, not yellow when cut, and a bit lighter, so they'll go into the "burnable this year" stacks.
005_zpsace846fe.jpg

There are six other BL, including this one (you can only see about half its length.) They are 10-17" but they are tall because they were competing for light. If any have to fall in the yard, I'll buck 'em and move it out. Otherwise, they will wait until later; I need to cut and stack more Ash to stay ahead of the curve on the '14 season. :oops: Besides, that'll give the bark on the BL a chance to loosen up. ==c
007_zps182920a2.jpg

Had the trailer loaded up pretty good. Only had to drive it a few hundred yards, though. :) The 5x8 and the quad trailers pictured here are almost all the wood from that tree. That will be pushing 3/4 cord, I would guess.
010_zps2f0775f7.jpg

Here, you can see the Sassafras half-round splits under the pallets. Two per side, they span the cut-outs in the pallets where the lift truck forks go. I'll bring the power splitter down, split 'em, and add to the BL stack that ends right there, which is about two cords so far. The stack on the other side of the quad is......what else, Red Oak stuff. ;lol
017_zpsa8e70a1e.jpg

Here's my boy. The Sass splits were seated into the soil by him placing his ample mass on the pallets for a minute. He's 70+ lbs. at nine months. :oops:
011_zps475d4791.jpg

He likes to chew on stinky stuff so the BL bark was right up his alley. ;lol When I put my gloves down to get the pic, he promptly stole one of them. :rolleyes: He brought it back later and traded it for a biscuit.
013_zpsca232a5a.jpg

Not only does this pup make a lot of work for me, he also finds more work. He brought me over to show me this Sugar, which left a sour taste in my mouth. He looked at me, and just shook his head and rolled his eyes as if to say "I thought you learned your lesson the last time this happened." ;lol
Actually, this is one of the last of my stacks that used single-row support. Most stacks are now being built on standard pallets, with the corresponding wider base, even if I only put one row of wood on them. Once I get far enough ahead, everything will be double-row on pallets. I am trying a few single rows on small dead Sass trunks. Those should be more stable than my initial efforts since the entire log is resting on the ground.
015_zpsd4c54019.jpg

Those wood stacks look good. Is that poison ivy in the last pic?

Lots of good wood there, Woody. Nice stack that'll take you through the winter. That BL is gonna be great when seasoned.

Nice pup, too. Mine loves chewin' on wood too.

Those wood stacks look good. Is that poison ivy in the last pic?
Thanks, and good eye! Yes, there's ivy in just about every pic I take around here. Sometimes, I walk down to inspect my stacks in shorts and sandals. I find that doing this hones my observational skills. ;lol

Lots of good wood there, Woody. Nice stack that'll take you through the winter. That BL is gonna be great when seasoned.

Nice pup, too. Mine loves chewin' on wood too.
These aren't my working stacks for this season, but I may pull a few splits and test them to see how they are doing. I haven't burned anything yet that has been double-stacked. The top of the BL stack has been there since last summer. Some of that (if it started out kind of dry) might be burnable this year if I needed it. I have other BL that is older so I'll be burning that this winter, for sure. :) I'll probably just mix it with other woods to stretch out the burn when I need to. I'm glad and fortunate to have some high-output woods on hand since I'll be burning in the smaller Keystone this year.

Reactions: ScotO
What a wonderful post--a wood burners two best friends! Thanks for sharing that. :)

Reactions: Bluezx636
Thanks, and you're welcome, tk! :)

Good work Woody but if I read that right, "This was about 24" where I cut it, about chest-high," I would definitely throw out a word of big caution. Never cut at chest height if you can possibly avoid it. Little things like this can cause big accidents or perhaps we should say, they can make those accidents come a bit too easy for comfort.

Never cut at chest height if you can possibly avoid it. Little things like this can cause big accidents or perhaps we should say, they can make those accidents come a bit too easy for comfort.
Agreed. I didn't want to, but my bar couldn't quite get it in one cut down lower as the trunk had some irregular bulges, which you can see in some of those big pieces in the back. Now, I could have made the fall cut as I described above, leaving a strap, then plunge-cutting it and pulling it out the back. But yeah, I need to get a little better at always taking the safest approach even if it's more work. This is no place to be taking shortcuts. :oops: And it was a beeotch holding the 460 up there. <>

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Here's the contents of the 5x8 and quad trailers, staged next to the stack. I've also got a small pile of 4' limbs, some rounds that look dry enough to burn, and a few that I have to cull some punk out of. Not bad for one tree. :)
001_zpsbd2d9f9f.jpg

Thanks for the great post Woody. My dog also likes to run off with my gloves :)
Question: What is the purpose of the sassafras splits under the pallets?

Not bad? Your pics look great, nice to have a friend with you too I bet... BL is my favorite wood to split by hand. I love it

Nice pics - love seeing the dogs around the wood pile. Start a knee surgery account for him. More money spent in America on canine ligament repairs than humans each year and labs knees are the top of that list. My sisters lab has had TPLO surgery on both knees.

For all that PI just get some round up and nuke it. Get the good stuff though and it may take two or three runs as PI is very resistive to the juice. Here in mid-Michigan the stuff is everywhere!!

BL is my favorite wood to split by hand. I love it
I can't remember much of the existing row I split by hand but I seem to remember that the straight pieces weren't bad at all.

Start a knee surgery account for him....labs knees are the top of that list.
:oops: He's a mix; Maybe that will help.
For all that PI just get some round up and nuke it....Here in mid-Michigan the stuff is everywhere!!

You mean like this? To get rid of all of it here, planes would have to fly over and dump Roundup like they do water on a wildfire! ;lol I'm not a big fan of chemicals, anyway. I'm pretty adept at avoiding contact after all these years. I might get a little spot here or there once in a while, but no big deal.
003_zps95ad02e5.jpg

Woody, you play hard at the wood game and make progress by the week.
Well, I make some progress every month, anyway. ==c As I mentioned, I'll probably cut the other ones and let them lie there for a while to loosen up the bark. I'd like as much of that as possible to fall off when I split it (used a bunch I just got on trails.) Besides, I need to get a bunch of dead White Ash stacked now for everyone for the '14 season, and take advantage of the good weather that's still left this fall.

Woody - I understand about the anti-chemical thing but PI like that needs punishment. My property looked just like that when I moved here in 2005/6 and my first attack was during the winter with and axe. I cut all the vines I can find climbing trees and each winter while cutting I keep my dual headed axe with me to get any I find. This helps a lot but the ground cover needed some chemical encouragement to keep it at bay. I mix it hot and give all the trails and heavily traveled areas a dose 2-3x per summer and I am now able maneuver through my woods relatively safely. I just hate the devil weed!!

Reactions: Applesister
I cut all the vines I can find climbing trees
That's the worst! I'll be walking in the woods. looking down at where I'm stepping, then a tree-climber slaps me right in the face! :mad:

Thanks for the great post Woody. My dog also likes to run off with my gloves :)
Question: What is the purpose of the sassafras splits under the pallets?

Trooper, I don't think this was answered so will try. Sassafras has a tendency to rot very slowly. We've used it many times for posts even without treating the wood. So he is just using the sassafras as runners to stack the wood on because they will last several years before having to be replaced.

Reactions: Trooper
MEGA-SCORE, BROTHER!! That's an awesome haul.....
Don't be so hard on yourself about making a perfect cut, happens to the best of them.....just make sure you are safe with all aspects of the tree lean and such. Also, it doesn't hurt to put a bull rope on a tree that you question as to whether or not it's gonna do something "goofy" on you. I use bull lines a lot (even though I probably don't always need them), most of the time just as an insurance policy.....

Looks like that helper eats his fair share around the jobsite, too! Nice lookin' dog. I say you had a great day Woody!

What is the purpose of the sassafras splits under the pallets?
Trooper, I don't think this was answered so will try. Sassafras has a tendency to rot very slowly....he is just using the sassafras as runners to stack the wood on because they will last several years before having to be replaced.
Dang, I typed a reply to Trooper but must have screwed up in trying to post it. ;em
As Dennis said, it's supposed to be fairly rot-resistant. I've got a ton of dead ones out there so I figured I would give it a try in order to preserve the pallets longer. It's a hassle locating and transporting them....and they ain't too light, either. <>
I also stacked a few rows Dennis-style, where I just put smaller five or six-inch straight logs down and stacked on those....no pallets.

Reactions: Trooper
doesn't hurt to put a bull rope on a tree that you question as to whether or not it's gonna do something "goofy" on you. I use bull lines a lot (even though I probably don't always need them), most of the time just as an insurance policy.
I got a half-incher but haven't used it much yet. I figured I could use it to hand pull some stuff or pull with the quad. The only downside I can see to that is if it goes the wrong way and the quad gets snatched out from under me and gets tossed a couple hundred yards! _g

I got a half-incher but haven't used it much yet. I figured I could use it to hand pull some stuff or pull with the quad. The only downside I can see to that is if it goes the wrong way and the quad gets snatched out from under me and gets tossed a couple hundred yards! _g
yeah, you gotta know your limits on such things!!

At one point, I had a 50s-vintage Ford 861 tractor that I used with a rotary cutter. I wish I had that bad boy now! :(

I'm trying to get my buddy to put in a stove or two. He's got a big house to heat, and could no doubt get his money back pretty quickly. He's also got a tractor....maybe I can trade him some wood work for occasional pulling help. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.