SL300 Chimney Pipe UL Rating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wkpoor

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 30, 2008
Amanda, OH
I've searched till I'm blue in the fingers. I want to eventually put a free standing woodstove upstairs in place of the existing Heatilator. I did a search and found an old post about air cooled chimney pipe but not specifically my pipe. I'm thinking its probably the standard 1700degree rating. Lining this will be on my list for next spring. However can anyone tell me if even a lining will create the chimney I'll need for a stove. My thoughts are lining a pipe that is already pretty good will only make it possibly better than class A. Or maybe (if it is the 1700 degree pipe) its already adequate.

Me real bad. I totally forgot I posted something similar last year. No responses though so I'll let this one ride.

You cannot remove the prefab fireplace and the re-use or re-line the old SL300 flue. Its an air cooled flue and only works effectively (safe) when attached to the starter collar on the unit and can cool properly. The SL300 does not have the HT listing so you cannot just connect to it either. Oh, also because its not HT listed even if you did re-line it, it should be an insulated liner. Good luck fitting an insulated liner down an 8" prefab flue, especially if it has an offset in it.

You should remove the old pipe and install a Class A system.

Status
Not open for further replies.