slab heat for a garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The building is long and slender with a lot of water moving underneath it. I already spent a bunch of money making sure all the water coming down the hill both above and below ground keeps on moving. Given that he is in his early 40s and this is his castle, I'm not sure that I can spend too much of his money on insulation. I am curious if aircrete might be appropriate for this. Their headquarters are only 20 minutes from here.

btuser said:
It seems like the foam is going to kill you. I heard a rumor that a great majority of your heat loss happens near the footing, and insulating in the center of a slab is not cost effective. In the center of the slab you may only need to continue the vapor barrier.

I've also heard this and some people only use 2" around the perimiter and 1" in the middle

That seems like a good compromise especially if you are burning free wood. I have made these compromises while building my own house. For example, why go crazy on windows to save a cord a year?

But, I tend to over insulate everything in his house as it will be be heated strictly by fossil fuels through liberal use of the thermostat.

After 30 yards of concrete, 1500 ft of 1/2" pex, 1600 sq ft of 2" foam and misc other stuff it is done. Thanks for the input everyone. Also, when price shopping, HD gave me just over 25% off the pex, foam and mesh when it went to the bid room. Beat out even the most competitive local supply houses by about a few percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.