Sleep Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PaulOinMA

Minister of Fire
Oct 20, 2018
MA
Anyone wear a sleep cap? I don't have much hair. Just about none actually. I keep the house cool at night. The sleep caps my late mom made me years ago are gone. Bought two of these from the Berkley Hat Company. Large enough to also pull down over your eyes. :)

There's a fall sale for an additional 15% off. Coupon code FALL2022. Don't know if it works with items already on sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: ispinwool
I suspect central heating has made them all but obsolete, to all but the hearth.com community.

That's it... we need to start "hearth.com hat co."!

When I was young and single I’d do something similar. I’d keep the house at 50 and sleep in a mummy bag. Didn’t have to make the bed then, lol.

Only when there is frost on the inside walls. So that hasn't happened since I was a child. That is still the best sleeping though.

Or when camping in colder weather (also been a while...,)

(And here I thought this was a thread about an adult beverage before bed time - but realized that is a night cap....)

I suspect central heating has made them all but obsolete, to all but the hearth.com community.

I can make that happen!! LOL...
I made this one to hold my daughter's ponytail (obviously the long part is supposed to be in the back...shown sideways just for the pic)View attachment 299405View attachment 299405

edit #2: sorry...i tried to make the pic smaller and ended up with doubles UGH!

Last edited:
....aaaaand now the pics are completely gone!
Let me try again...
IMG_20220925_121930899.jpg

(And here I thought this was a thread about an adult beverage before bed time - but realized that is a night cap....)
Easily confused. Your English is still better than my Dutch.

I used to sleep on the third floor (aka "attic") of a brick 1870's house. I was too young and poor to heat it, so I just slept in the cold. Woke up many mornings with ice on the insides of the windows, especially thick on the window above my pillow. Always enjoyed sleeping in the cold, other than that first dive into the sheets.

I was traveling to Germany a lot, at that point in my life. Learned the value of a good European style full goose down duvet, a practice I still carry today, although now synthetic.

Oh, duh. I-spin-wool. Always just glance at names without thinking about them.

See, I saw it as ISP in wool. I thought those were initials or something! I figured the wool was a play on being cold… on a hearth board, lol.

Don’t mind me. I’m slow sometimes… probably often.

See, I saw it as ISP in wool. I thought those were initials or something! I figured the wool was a play on being cold… on a hearth board, lol.

Don’t mind me. I’m slow sometimes… probably often.
Once in awhile I volunteer at our local historical society...we try to teach the kids that, in ages past, we were responsible for making our own clothing; there weren't any Walmarts.

26471.jpeg

Reactions: Ashful
So glad I'm not the only one!

You want dense? Try this ...

I'm on the Outer Banks this week. Dropping cable and going to Roku. Drove to return all the cable boxes to Spectrum first thing Thursday morning. Left early so I could buy two more Roku TVs. Walmart is right across the street from Spectrum.

Walked through the Walmart parking lot. Dog in the rear seat looking out. Walked up talking to the dog. " Hi! Good boy!"

Driver's window was down, and a woman is in the driver's seat. Got closer. The dog was an applique. We laughed about it.

"I was talking to your dog!"

"She's home."

I was talking to a dog window clingy!

Amazon product ASIN B07BN1Q9Q1

I also read it like you. ISP something.

@ispinwool l , just so you know, your screen name is quite obvious to some of us. I don’t want you thinking that everybody misunderstands it. Maybe it’s a woman thing or the fact that I raised sheep for many, many years, though I never spun the wool. Maybe early on I saw that there’s a spinning wheel in your avatar or your statement in your signature that you own four spinning wheels and loads of fiber. Anyway, these are great gentlemen here who’ve misunderstood you, but I have to admit I was surprised by so many misreading something I had always understood. It gave me some chuckles.

@PaulOinMA , when I first started reading your story, I thought you were going to say that the woman in the driver’s seat was offended because she thought you were talking to her or something. I‘m glad it was a much more friendly encounter.

@ispinwool l , just so you know, your screen name is quite obvious to some of us. I don’t want you thinking that everybody misunderstands it. Maybe it’s a woman thing or the fact that I raised sheep for many, many years, though I never spun the wool. Maybe early on I saw that there’s a spinning wheel in your avatar or your statement in your signature that you own four spinning wheels and loads of fiber. Anyway, these are great gentlemen here who’ve misunderstood you, but I have to admit I was surprised by so many misreading something I had always understood. It gave me some chuckles.

@PaulOinMA , when I first started reading your story, I thought you were going to say that the woman in the driver’s seat was offended because she thought you were talking to her or something. I‘m glad it was a much more friendly encounter.
@DuaeGuttae thanks! I'm glad you caught the meaning :)
(may I inquire what type of sheep you raised?)
...I had no idea I'd created such confusion for such a long time! LOLOL😄

No confusion here.
Except that some here seem to read I lick my stoves ... So you're not the only one...

It’s ok. Every time I see @stoveliker my mind twists it to Stove licker. I do a quick double take. My mind corrects it. My 12 year old maturity level makes me giggle, and then I read the post.

Bbq-ed tongue is not my thing...

Reactions: PaulOinMA
@DuaeGuttae thanks! I'm glad you caught the meaning :)
(may I inquire what type of sheep you raised?)
...I had no idea I'd created such confusion for such a long time! LOLOL😄

My sister and I started our sheep raising through 4-H with just one market lamb each. The very first that I owned was a Suffolk/Western cross. For a number of years we would buy lamb in the spring, raise them all summer, and then show and sell them at the county fair. Over the years we had a number of different breeds, but they were all meat breeds, not fleece breeds.

After a number of years one my market lambs was a beautiful ewe. She was the grand champion of the show and was really too beautiful to go to market. I didn’t want to sell her, but I had to according to the rules. After the auction, however, I was able to buy her back before she went to market, and that was the beginning of our little flock. Our second ewe was actually her mother, as the farmer who had sold her to me in the spring had told me that if I had the guts to approach the store that had bought my market lamb and arrange to buy her back, he would give me a second ewe of my choice out of his flock. It’s embarrassing, but I don’t actually remember what exact breed she was after this many years, and I don’t know if she was purebred or a cross. She did have a dark head and legs, but I don’t think she was completely Suffolk. She may have been a Suffolk/Hampshire Cross, but I’m not sure. I’ll have to ask my mother if she has it written down. If I remember correctly, our first ram was a pure Dorset. My mother continued to breed more Dorset blood into the flock over the years long after I had moved away, but her very last ram was a “hair sheep“ because she was getting older and wanted less trouble shearing the sheep. (She did it herself with manual shears.) She gave up her little flock about three or four years ago when there was a bad dog attack that killed several of her expectant ewes. She had to decide at that time whether to sell or rebuild the flock, and she was already in her eighties, so she decided to sell.

@DuaeGuttae I 'tip my hat' to your mom that raised sheep into her eighties! You're from good strong/sturdy stock! :) (and sheared them herself! Wonderful!!)
I've heard of several youngsters in our area that bought their critters back after the auction...it's hard giving up your pet. One ingenious young lady asked her aunt to outbid everyone (and would pay her back)...LOL...If I remember the story correctly, the aunt gave the critter to her as a birthday gift.
(I was in a horse 4-H group so we didn't have to do that....although I'm betting my dad wished we did! LOL)

Craig did this sort of many years ago. Still have mine, but I don't sleep with it on.

IMG_3050.jpg

Hearth.com hats!!?? That's great! Are they still available?