slight hydraulic issue w/ splitter (with picture)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
triptester, it seemed that the o ring was in the groove where the arrow is.
but it looked like it was 2 sizes to big?? the ring wasnt damaged just looked like it was very stretched? will also go check those little holes for any dirt...Terry

it seemed that the ring was in the groove where the little hole is?
but if it's supposed to be there wouldnt it act like a piece of dirt and not let the hydraulics work properly?

dont have the right o ring here, but will pick one up in town tomorrow...

loon said:
it seemed that the ring was in the groove where the little hole is?
I'm sure it doesn't go in the groove of the spool. It goes behind the detent mechanism.

the o-ring is right where it's supposed to be. does it look cut or flattened at all? does the recess that it came out of have any dirt or debris in it?

just put the new o-ring on and that was the problem. it now has a (strong) kickback where before it was kind of a (light) kickback...

thanks all

Terry

split half a cord the other day and it worked like new!!

Adios Pantalones how did you make out with your problem ??

terry

I'm having the same problem with my 27 ton troy built. Leaking and ram not coming down at full speed and continues to drop after handle put in neutral. Retracts very slowly. Going to open it up and check the o-rings.

glassmanjpf said:
I'm having the same problem with my 27 ton troy built. Leaking and ram not coming down at full speed and continues to drop after handle put in neutral. Retracts very slowly. Going to open it up and check the o-rings.
Not the same symptoms as the OP. Your issue sounds like the problem is in the ram or air in the oil.

I changed the two o rings and got it all back together. Split a few small pieces and it works fine. The only question I have is that I saw in earlier post that the steel balls should have a small amount of some grease on them? I failed to grease them. Do you think I need to go back in with a dap of bearing grease? How much is enough? Thanks.

Perfect...thanks so much triptester!

So disappointed...the splitter worked great for two hours and then started leaking from under the detent cover. Any suggestions out there? Planning on changing the neoprene O rings with silicon O rings. If that doesn't work I may have to replace tghe whole valve assemply.

o-ring material may be the cause of the short life. neoprene (from hardware store?) should work with petroleum oil, but not the preferred choice. Nitrile (Buna N, in either 70 or 90 hardness but 70 preferred) would be recommended. I would not use silicone.

or it is possible that nicks, scratches, or other damage is such that the oring life is short.

I would disassemble again, check all for sharp corners or edges, or other damage, use new Buna ('N70") o rings. Greae or oil them before asembly. Check spool and bore for excessive wear or shart edges, rust, etc.

k

Status
Not open for further replies.