Slight update on my donor program region

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corie

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
Camp Hill, PA
Well, everything is in order and I think I'm going to be doing the installation this weekend.

I picked up a hammer drill, bits, and masonary anchors today to install the pipe. Using the tax return money to get the tools, so its like a present to myself!

Received an awesome $50 donation from wrenchmonster, which is going to cover the cost of the sheet metal I need to make the heat shields, as well as the cost of the other materials for the installation.

Lastly though, I did not find a company to donate a scissor lift, so it looks like I'm going to be doing this on a ladder. Not my favorite thing in the world, but I'll make it work. Hopefully the family receiving the stove has a ladder, or someone in the area can let me borrow one, because I don't have an extension ladder here.

Corie said:
Well, everything is in order and I think I'm going to be doing the installation this weekend.

I picked up a hammer drill, bits, and masonary anchors today to install the pipe. Using the tax return money to get the tools, so its like a present to myself!

Received an awesome $50 donation from wrenchmonster, which is going to cover the cost of the sheet metal I need to make the heat shields, as well as the cost of the other materials for the installation.

Lastly though, I did not find a company to donate a scissor lift, so it looks like I'm going to be doing this on a ladder. Not my favorite thing in the world, but I'll make it work. Hopefully the family receiving the stove has a ladder, or someone in the area can let me borrow one, because I don't have an extension ladder here.

Wheres the stove being installed bro? I have a 32' ladder here you can borrow :). Hell if ya need help lemme know, I don't mind ladders.
Got a good amount of tools also.

Well its out here, actually in Philly.

Its a shame you're so far, it be a long drive for ya. But I could use the help.

Corie said:
Well its out here, actually in Philly.

Its a shame you're so far, it be a long drive for ya. But I could use the help.

Where at in Philly? Northeast?
If its on the weekend I could prolly help. I just moved from Warrington last summer, which is about 30 miles North of Philly.
Lemme know. I might have to get us a borrowed ladder, which I should be able to do. My 32' won't fit so god on my Ranger.
You putting the stove in a row home? Those Philly row homes can be 3+ stories. From the street a 40' won't really reach even.
I thought you were in the Milford up this way just S.W. of NY state. Your near "Q"town, I got an old roofing bud in Richlandtown we could prolly get a ladder to borrow from. How many day job ya think it is? I could help Sat & Sun. Have hammer drill, 4-1/2" angle grinder, screw guns, saw zaw, blah bah blah.
Like I said, lemme know, I am up for it. And I can call ahead and try and make ladder arrangements. Do you have a truck with a ladder rack on it?

Yeah, its in a Northeast philly row home.

I was thinking saturday sunday at the most. If we got the external pipe done in one day, which should be easy, I could do all the internal stuff myself no problem.

I don't have a ladder rack on a truck, shoot I don't even have a truck, haha. Stupid subaru wagon.

Man, if you were willing to come for the day with tools, etc that would be awesome. Then I could return this hammer drill and use my tax money for something more fun!

If it was an overnight thing, you'd be welcome to crash here either way. Our apartment is in Downingtown, like 35 minutes from her house.

Corie said:
Yeah, its in a Northeast philly row home.

I was thinking saturday sunday at the most. If we got the external pipe done in one day, which should be easy, I could do all the internal stuff myself no problem.

I don't have a ladder rack on a truck, shoot I don't even have a truck, haha. Stupid subaru wagon.

Man, if you were willing to come for the day with tools, etc that would be awesome. Then I could return this hammer drill and use my tax money for something more fun!

If it was an overnight thing, you'd be welcome to crash here either way. Our apartment is in Downingtown, like 35 minutes from her house.

Subaru LMFAO, git with the program man LOL. I was laughing to myself about my ranger. Oh the pipe is external, that will be much easier than a re-line.
I can help as much or little for as long or short as you want. I know Downingtown. Routes 30 &100 etc. I have friends in Coatsville & Devon I could crash at if need be.
I'll bring the tools, save your money & treat yourself to something else. So the only thing is the ladder now. My ranger has no ladder racks, and you should check the height of the row house. Ive roofed many that we had to prop a 40'er on the back of a stake body truck and just reached under the overhang. Played cliff hanger to get on the roof. Honestly, I have no prob with ladders, but I ain't cliff hanging no more LOL. I am getting too old for that. Actualy get up was not the problem, it was trying to hang over the edge of the roof and find the unseen ladder with your foot that really sucked. The plus side is, its most likely a flat roof, and may have a hatch for access to the roof. Something your should ask the homeowner. If so, it would make things alot easier. Another thing to watch for, is those olf row homes, alot of them the morter is going or gone from the bricks. Ran into that all the time while doing roofs there. Anyways. We gotta figure about a ladder. Gimme a call so we can plan tools, materials needed etc. This is next weekend coming up right? You have a PM with my Number.

Dang, corie, you are taking the tough jobs.
You have to figure this stuff out before you go - sounds like a job for scaffolding...at least for the first 20 feet or so. You won't find me getting up on anything higher than that.

Wonder if you can get to the roof from the front easier and then, at least for the top 10 feet or so, lower the pipe down. It does sound like a 2 person job!

Hog is from Warrington? I lived there for a short while...in fact, Hearth.com (the computer) sat in Doylestown for 10 years...now it is in Norristown (at Broadcom server farm).

Yes, I highly suggest scaffold for the first couple sections at least. It is fairly cheap to rent, and I'm certain you can "catch up" in donations with the cost. Safety first.....after all, after all that $$ on college, we can't have that brain hitting the ground at high speed.

maybe if someone sent other members in philly a PM (philafire, eric in ambler), I just moved from cheltenham late '05 or I'd help . . good luck . .

Ah yes. High ladders and roofing. What sent me to the Army recruiter's office and hunting an office job when I got out. I was a hot roofer and in those days we carried those six hundred degree bucks of tar up the ladders. No fancy pumps.

It sucked. Really sucked for the 155 lb. lil dude. I was the ladder guy.

Webmaster said:
Dang, corie, you are taking the tough jobs.
You have to figure this stuff out before you go - sounds like a job for scaffolding...at least for the first 20 feet or so. You won't find me getting up on anything higher than that.

Wonder if you can get to the roof from the front easier and then, at least for the top 10 feet or so, lower the pipe down. It does sound like a 2 person job!

Hog is from Warrington? I lived there for a short while...in fact, Hearth.com (the computer) sat in Doylestown for 10 years...now it is in Norristown (at Broadcom server farm).

Yes, I highly suggest scaffold for the first couple sections at least. It is fairly cheap to rent, and I'm certain you can "catch up" in donations with the cost. Safety first.....after all, after all that $$ on college, we can't have that brain hitting the ground at high speed.

I have 6' & 8' step ladders. Also have a rickety old 16'er ext ladder. I'll def bring the 2 steps, not sure I want anyone else on the rickety 16'. it was a freeby from reroofing job at Temple. Hopefully we can get a decent 32' or 40'er somehow. And with any luck the roof will have a hatch for easy access. I am just worried of the condition of the building itself. Actually N.E. places I don't remember them being as tall as the ones in West & North Philly. Hopefully Corie can get some info from the homeowner ahead of time.

Yeap, Warrington is changing quick. I lived in the "Mews" which they changed the name, but you can't change the developement by a name change alone. Its not getting any better. Heck maybe I'll even get to visit my son, hes going to West Chester U.

BrotherBart said:
Ah yes. High ladders and roofing. What sent me to the Army recruiter's office and hunting an office job when I got out. I was a hot roofer and in those days we carried those six hundred degree bucks of tar up the ladders. No fancy pumps.

It sucked. Really sucked for the 155 lb. lil dude. I was the ladder guy.

Yeap, remember it well, been there done that too many times. We finally started using a pump for large jobs. Or we would use the buckets & a rope & beam for the smaller ones. I was mop man. Slopping the hot around all day. After 13 yrs and enough headaches. We were doing a hot job in August, 100+ out, god knows what the roof top temp was. Boss says he wants to do 4-10's instead of 5-8's a week. To save on gas & travel. It was al we had to get through 8hr days in that heat. Lots of heat exhaustion & heat stroke happening to the crew members. 4 formen including myself quit. Thats when I decided to retire from roofing. Remember sweating so bad, that the salt reformed on the outside of your skin? I would literally have chunks of salt in my armpit hairs, on my arm creases & around my neck. Not a glorious job. Especially when your not even appreciated for the crap you endure.

Status
Not open for further replies.