Slip connector support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bub381

Minister of Fire
Feb 4, 2011
Mid-coast Maine
The Rangeley is rear vented but the flue is cast iron and the opening is straight up,the Fireview and Keystone are rear vented and the flue points straight back.The slip connector sits on top of the cast iron flue so it supports it and it is only clamped to the ceiling box (support).Will the 90 elbow support the slip connector or am i going to have to have screws put into the ceiling support to hold it all.That clamp doesn't seem like much of a support for all that double pipe.Will the 3 screws holding the 90 to the stove support this? Also,will the pipe shield cover the 90 or does the 90 have to be double wall.Pipe to wall is gonna be 10" to a cementboard,tile cover shield 1" from the wall.

The Keystone can be connected rear or top exit. Keep it simple. Connect it top exit.

Slip connector support

I'm not real sure what you are asking here, are you hooking up the Rangeley or a Woodstock? All the pipe should have 3 screws in each joint. What is this clamp that you mention? Are you planning on changing from double wall to single? If so, how?

Hooking up the Woodstock, not changing pipe no.The 1st pic is the clamp,the 2nd is the flue.This flue is cast iron.If i go rear flue with the Woodstock, i would need a 90 elbow.Would that be support enough to hold all this double wall connector pipe up?It sat on the cast iron of the Rangeley,now what would there be for support?No screws in this pipe under the clamp.

Attachments

• Slip connector support
    001.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 142
  • Slip connector support
    002.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 115
Read the manuals? The Keystone can be vented straight up. No need for a rear elbow. Woodstock is a company, not a stove model. Exactly what stove is being installed?

I know woodstock is a company, lol, the man at the shop told me to go with the Fireview.The advice i got here was the Keystone so i listed it as Woodstock because it's undecided.Prob should go with what he said but didn't want to seem inappreciative of the advice i got here.Hard to go against advice from people trying to help ya know.Best i can tell ya.I thought all joints were to have 3 screws too but i never dealt with these clamps.I should've posted with (A) Woodstock not (THE) Woodstock.Tried to cover both bases.If this stove does have to go back it might look good if i went with their advice.Should've just called them and asked i guess,it would've saved you people some time and posting.I do appreciate the advice here.It's all new to me.

Hooking up the Woodstock, not changing pipe no.The 1st pic is the clamp,the 2nd is the flue.This flue is cast iron.If i go rear flue with the Woodstock, i would need a 90 elbow.Would that be support enough to hold all this double wall connector pipe up?It sat on the cast iron of the Rangeley,now what would there be for support?No screws in this pipe under the clamp.

My understanding is that the flue hangs from the ceiling and that there is virtually no weight on the stove. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know woodstock is a company, lol, the man at the shop told me to go with the Fireview.The advice i got here was the Keystone so i listed it as Woodstock because it's undecided.Prob should go with what he said but didn't want to seem inappreciative of the advice i got here.Hard to go against advice from people trying to help ya know.Best i can tell ya.I thought all joints were to have 3 screws too but i never dealt with these clamps.I should've posted with (A) Woodstock not (THE) Woodstock.Tried to cover both bases.If this stove does have to go back it might look good if i went with their advice.Should've just called them and asked i guess,it would've saved you people some time and posting.I do appreciate the advice here.It's all new to me.

Got it, thanks. This question is specific to a Fireview installation. With the Keystone, it's a non-issue. With a rear exit elbow you just need to be sure that it is securely screwed to the stove flue collar and that each joint has 3 screws holding it. This is how our Castine was connected, no screw at the support box, but I did put screws at the slip joint to make this one rigid unit.

The pictures are a little dark, but that looks like double-wall connector pipe. Is that correct? If yes, I'd stick with it.

Ok,thanks a million,just weren't sure the 3 screws in the flue collar and the elbow would hold 4 feet of slip pipe.Yes double walland slip pipe has 3 screws so it stays extended.All that holds the top of these is this clamp,ok got it Just making sure cause i know you said they left wood cuttings in your pipe system and sometimes things can be left unfinished or not done right.I also know sometimes i write things a little confusing.

Your pipe looks like Selkirk. If so, they do screw to the adapter, but the screws are hidden under the finishing band.

www.selkirkcorp.com/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=1836

Slip connector support

Our pipe is DuraVent DVL, different system, with no screws at top.

It is Selkirk,the finshing band is what i called a clamp?When i clean the pipe i take the band off,the 3 screws holding the slip pipe together and the 3 screws out of the flue.Take whole thing outside and brush it.

No worry mate. Sounds like you are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.