Slipping on the ice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rickwai

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
ohio
Yeah that is me.... The daughter pulled the video off the Ring and made a TikTok. Looked worse than it was, other than catching the gate latch in the ribs:). Filling the corn stove this morning was a little rough! I was just finishing blowing out my driveway and the surrounding neighbors drives and hopped off the machine to open the garage to pull the Grasshopper back in. Hopefully the video works. Turn up the sound.

Attachments

• ice.MOV
    1.6 MB
Last edited:
Ouch, that's some serious black ice. Hope you don't hurt worse tomorrow. While shoveling the roof of the shop two days ago I was thinking how silly it would be for me to slide off and break a leg or worse yet neck at the age of 68.

It's just not worth it to take chances and if your "gut feeling" tries to tell you something --listen to it even if it means some extra work or time to go back and get something...At our senior ages our bodies are not what they used to be...lol...clancey

OMG - I'm sorry I laughed. That music was great with it!

But seriously, be careful out there!

Ribs are still pretty sore. All else fine. I was not expecting the ice. It had a skim of snow on it and I was walking a decent pace and was turning left as I walked thru the gate and both feet went. The video is pretty funny afterwards. :)

Reactions: Washed-Up
As I get older, falling is one of my biggest fears. I used to bounce back up pretty good, but with each year bouncing up gets slower. On the rare occasion when I do fall, on the way down, I think to myself this is going to hurt and I hope I don't do any real damage. Hope you are feeling better real soon.

Reactions: rickwai
I took a pretty good fall last winter that resulted in some soft-tissue injury but could have been a lot worse, as in broken bones. Emergency rooms identify it by the acronym FWOSH -- Fall With OutStretched Hand.

After "breaking my fall" by taking the impact with my right hand, my arm swelled up like a sausage from knuckles to elbow. After the swelling went down in about a week, I had a large bruised area below the elbow. I was feeling the effects for a couple months afterward.

you should create a loop of just the fall. watch it each year before winter.

Just be careful and so glad you are okay graybeard and the original video on posting one by rickwai I could not run the video because of my computer hook up but i saw the picture and falls are scary for I think I have learned my lesson (at least I hope so)..A few years back I step in a tiny indent in the ground and it threw me into the street right after getting off a bus and I broke my right arm in two places lower section with my outstretch hand really messed up--got over that one okay. Now a few years back I was doing a favorite for someone and was walking to their house and slipped on ice and to avoid the arm again turned to my side and "yes" I broke my shoulder on the right arm again...I did have a gut feeling warning telling me to get proper boots but me be miss macho ignored it and went without boots and was sorry for that so believe your inner warnings...The next adventure was tripping on a hose because I did not lift my foot up high enough and broke three vertebra and I thought my knee caps because I landed on them full force (they were okay but sore). The latest adventure was falling in the bird loft on top of the boards and broke my elbow which healed perfect so I was very very lucky...Now I am really cautious knowing that I am not young anymore and now I try to be really careful--so I have been there..I guess I am one of those people that has to have a learning experience to get "Be careful" drilled into my head..So I feel for you all and just be real real careful and watch where you are going even coming down or up steps or your puppies jumping on you for we are not what we used to be. God Bless and take care of all of you..clancey