1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Slow Flushing Toilet[Copper DRAIN pipes] Read this; Photos

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by ozzie88, Apr 7, 2012.

1. ozzie88

ozzie88 Member

Loc:
    maine
    I bought this house 2 years ago,toilet never did flush good,checked everything I could looked ok. Seen some small green corrosion on 3inch copper drain pipe did not think nothing. Then when bare-foot in basement and touch water pipe got very small shock? Hum? Finally talked to a plumber said the copper pipe is coroded from electric backfeeding call electric company,so I did, they came out checked wires and transformer on pole,ground was gone, and neutrual was off transformer, they said this would cause a backfeed to my house or others too,[new transformer on] Now here photos of how bad my pipes were filled up with this green stuff a 7 feet piece and one smaller were stuffed.
    Anyways took out all copper drains put pvc. in everything works good now and no more shock from pipe. SAM_0764.JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. vinny11950

vinny11950 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Long Island, NY
    Wow! thanks for sharing.
  3. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    And if you were smart, you scraped the copper and about paid for the new PVC.
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Along these lines, I had to clear a kitchen drain for a lady the other day. She was boiling hamburger for her dog, then pouring the water down the sink. Trap completely stuffed with grease.
  5. jimbom

jimbom Combustion Analyzer

Loc:
    Missouri Ozarks
    My dog wants to be traded. It can be for a mutt to be named later. Only meat he gets is the odd deer leg or whatnot he drags up to the house. The vet always sounds kind of disappointed when he says his teeth look good for an old dog. No teeth cleaning necessary.
  6. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Yeah, she used to fry it but she didn't like the smell anymore.
  7. ozzie88

ozzie88 Member

Loc:
    maine
    Well I did just that and more, got $164.00 for copper i took and the 1 1/2inch. drain I put on wood lathe and buffed to make grab rails and towell racks for bathroom, and even buffed the 90* elbows [brass] came out good i thought, sealed them also. SAM_0780.JPG
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  8. ozzie88

ozzie88 Member

Loc:
    maine
    View attachment 65044
    Well I did just that and more, got $164.00 for copper i took and the 1 1/2inch. drain I put on wood lathe and buffed to make grab rails and towell racks for bathroom, and even buffed the 90* elbows [brass] came out good i thought, sealed them also. View attachment 65044
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I have all copper drain lines too. Pretty crazy what they did in 1963. I had to bond them all to the copper water and then to the ground rods/panel during a recent panel swap.
  10. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    How did you anchor the hand rails please? Looks great.
  11. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    That's one of the coolest towel racks I've ever seen!
  12. 'bert

'bert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    East of the Rockies West of the Rest, North of 49
    +1 very cool