Small Alcove Stove Suggestions Needed, dimensions and criteria inside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bambbrose

Aug 14, 2015
UTAH
Hello everyone, I've been reading up and wanted to reach out and see if I can find any other suggestions beyond what I'm finding on my own.

I'm in the middle of a new home construction and we built an alcove for wood burning (my wife saw pictures, wanted this and that, and bam, now we have an alcove). Short sighted I know.

I'm in a dilemma on the clearances however. The home has two wood burning stoves, one in the basement and then this one in the alcove on the main level. This one is mostly for looks. The house has a full natural gas heating system as well. We just want something that fits in the space, meets clearance requirements, has a glass viewing area, and can throw a log or two in on a winter's night for warmth and atmosphere. The main floor is 1600 sq ft.

Attached are the dimensions I drew up in cad. The red dims are the dimensions of the alcove that we actually have built already. Right now we are at the drywall and stud level, but haven't built any further clearance reduction.

The green dimensions are what the alcove would be sized at after a 1" air gap and 3 1/2" of rock masonry, which we were already planning but haven't set in stone yet (no pun intended).

I was hoping for a few suggestions on models or clearance reduction methods that might work out for us. We are open to freestanding stoves, or inserts, but they must be wood burning.

We have the HT rated 6" vent connection as shown in the drawings attached going all the way up to the roof as required by code. Inspector already signed off on this. He even signed off on the alcove, but needs a model number and drawing of the area so he can confirm clearances before we get our move-in certificate.

The only tricky spot is that timber mantle and the oftentimes high alcove requirements. I'm reading that some stoves have a 6" alcove to stove top distance requirement when using non-combustible design.

Any advice or input much appreciated! Need to order a stove soon to stay on schedule for the house.

Thanks!

Attachments

• fireplace_surround Model (1).pdf
    7.4 KB · Views: 313
and a picture of the alcove (pre-drywall). I'll add a current pic later this weekend.

Attachments

• alcove.JPG
    alcove.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 614
Welcome. That doesn't look good for a wood stove. I know of no wood stove that would work in that setup. The best thing may be to open it up and rebuild to spec for a close clearance stove. Or if dimensions work, maybe a ZC fireplace could be installed there if the ZC FP accepted a class A chimney connection?

Did you read this thread?
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/alcove-height-clearance-question.145364/

Last edited:
Check out the Flame Monaco ZC fireplace. It is relatively budget friendly and as far as I remember allows several different types of chimney pipe; maybe yours works. The alcove may need to be adjusted, though, to fit it in. Or get rid off that alcove completely and make a nice hearth for a stove.

Finally got the "current" photos to show what I'm working with.

Did some more research. Looks like some of these ZC will work from a technical standpoint, but I'm unsure on their ducting. I have UL103HT triple wall from the connection pictured straight up about 15' to a proper wood stove cap. Are these ZC compatible with this type of ductwork typically?

Attachments

• IMG_1907.JPG
    IMG_1907.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_1908.JPG
    IMG_1908.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1909.JPG
    IMG_1909.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 356
I have UL103HT triple wall from the connection pictured straight up about 15' to a proper wood stove cap. Are these ZC compatible with this type of ductwork typically?

Each zc unit will have a list of compatible pipe. But no matter what you do there is going to have to be some serious modifications done to that area to make anything work in there. I am curious why you built a spot for a wood stove without doing any research on what was required first. I am not trying to pick on you but it happens all the time and i am curious what your reasoning is. I am sorry if this offends you in any way

Several ZC fireplaces will work with this type chimney pipe. But the size of the space will dictate what will fit with minor modification vs a larger redo. The ceiling support box will not be used for the ZC fireplace. The chimney pipe will mate with the fireplace directly or with an adapter. Did you look at the PE FP16 as an example?

Each zc unit will have a list of compatible pipe. But no matter what you do there is going to have to be some serious modifications done to that area to make anything work in there. I am curious why you built a spot for a wood stove without doing any research on what was required first. I am not trying to pick on you but it happens all the time and i am curious what your reasoning is. I am sorry if this offends you in any way
No offense taken at all.

I'm a busy person and we are in the middle of building a new home. The wood burning stove was always in the plans but the specifics were never ironed out. Contractor built per the architects drawings, which were drawn per the images my wife sent to the architect. At the end of the day, nobody involved was properly experienced in the nuances. That's why I'm here :)

I can do anything at this point, from rebuilding with lava stone ( I have an abundance on our homestead ) to going down the ZC insert road.
The only thing not rebuildable is the chimney pipe. I can rebuild the alcove as necessary.

I did explore the models recommended and it looks like they can work. The ductwork connection /adapter is my concern. I have metal fab duct. I'll grab actual PNs Thursday.

I'm a busy person and we are in the middle of building a new home. The wood burning stove was always in the plans but the specifics were never ironed out. Contractor built per the architects drawings, which were drawn per the images my wife sent to the architect. At the end of the day, nobody involved was properly experienced in the nuances. That's why I'm here :)
Ok fair enough. As far as what to do now i would research some zc units that appeal to you and see if any allow the use of the pipe you have now. If not you will be modifying the alcove to give enough room for a stove.

For a freestanding stove it could be good to consider a full redo, reusing the chimney parts, but removing the alcove and starting with a fresh slate. It is neither tall enough nor wide enough for a freestanding stove. What is the goal here, 24/7 area heating or more of an ambiance fire on some nights and weekends? If this is for heat, how large an area will be heated? Is there a particular style preferred like classic or contemporary?

If this requires a rebuild, consider going much wider (48" ID) and incorporating wood storage alongside. That will make it neater to work with. Or give up the alcove idea and just raise the support box to 84" and have a nice stone backdrop to a freestanding stove hearth.

The other options are a small ZC fireplace or widen the alcove for a larger fireplace.

Last edited:
Picture of current layout dimensions.

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 5.43.43 PM.png

So gents, I'm at a decision making point.

I've got a call in to the inspector to see what he will let me get away with. If I can get him to let me get my certificate of occupancy now while I rebuild that will be the plan. I'll probably just rebuild to use a full hearth style layout with the current ceiling being the start of the 103HT. We can just discard the alcove altogether.
If he won't let me get my CO and I have to figure out something using the existing design, it might be the ZC wood insert after all.

Capture.JPG

The only goal of this thing is to have something for ambiance and minor heating next to the couch during the cold months. A reminder that the space is 1600 sq ft on this floor, and there is a natural gas furnace already heating the whole house, and also a second freestanding wood burning stove downstairs (non-alcove, plenty of clearance). We won't have any air moving to external zones, just heating up this room. The room is 21' x 17', and its an open floorplan to another 22' x 17' kitchen area. Here is a snip of the space.

If the inspector is ok with me DIY'ing it after we move in, how would you proceed given the needs?

What would you guys do?

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a brief look at the Flame Monaco/Osburn Stratford ZC fireplace and it may fit. It gives a lot of different options for the chimney pipe; maybe yours is among them. It is also one of the cheaper EPA-approved fireplaces out there. After all the work you have put in it would be great to get something out from that alcove. A nice fireplace will raise the value of your home and be perfect for some heat and ambiance in the living room. The difference in cost to tearing the alcove up again and installing a stove on a hearth may be minimal by now.

I would tell the inspector that the alcove is an error and will be replaced. Have full drawings of the proposed change including the selected stove and it's full specs including clearance requirements. Ask if you can get an exception and followup inspection for the revised installation at a set date.

Status
Not open for further replies.