Small butane stove for power outages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There are ventless propane heaters for indoors. Any time you are burning a fuel indoors there is the risk of CO accumulating. That includes water heaters and furnaces stoves and ovens which are often taken for granted.

Reactions: fbelec
Another reason to check CO detector batteries.

I would only use propane outside. Will just use it with my grill. I was in Target today, accidentally ended up in the camping section. Saw 2 packs of Coleman propane canisters, but didn't see any butane or stoves. That's to be expected since it's not their specialty.

There are chinese knock off butane burners that screw into the standard butane cylinders. They arent much bigger than a cigarette lighter. I use a MSR pocket rocket. Walmart sometimes carries the Coleman brand but the MSR brand fuel is better mix of fuels that work better at colder temps. The trade off with the backpacking stoves is the actual pot supports are set up for small pots and produce a hot spot instead of even flame distribution. Its fine for a typical backpackers meal but not so good for frying things. Its not very steady with a larger pot or pan. I used one for 5 weeks straight one year and on and off for several years on the AT. On the rare times I go backpacking these days I use it.

There is also something called a pepsi can or catfood can stove that folks build that run alcohol. There are some ingenious designs that use the heat of the burning alcohol to pressurize the burner jets. Many folks use them to hike the AT. They are primitive but lightweight and not that hard to make.

Ideally I'd have a generator for power outages - but it's just not in the budget right now. When there is an outage in the area and Dunkin Donuts has power, the line of cars goes out into the street. I want to be able to at least make coffee in the morning. I have a grill for meals, but certainly don't want to use that for boiling water. I saw some portable butane one burner stoves for under $50 which I may consider. It would probably take a while (hopefully no more than 20 min. or so) to boil water, but once that happens I'd go with instant coffee. It would also be good for heating small meals.

Seems like the jury is still out whether it could be used indoors. I've read yes, no and maybe. If yes absolutely would have the kitchen windows open. I wonder if anyone has had experiences with one of these? They're typically found in the camping section of stores.

Here's an example of one.

View attachment 262620

Don't get that. Get a proper propane cookstove. This isn't Thailand. Look for a normal suitcase looking 2 burner coleman. Then you can use the commonly available and refillable green 1# tanks or you can buy the adapter above that lets you use your 20# BBQ tank to provide gas. There is no reason to sacrifice the huge benefit of commonly availble and cheap fuel for a little dinky butane cookstove, especially in your "emergency" kit.

I currently own a "dual fuel" coleman gasoline/white gas cookstove and lantern that I bought new over 25 years ago. They work great and only have ever burned gasoline but I wouldn't bring them inside to burn. More of an outside thing. I can also use my propane oven/range in the RV trailer if the power is out and I need to boil water or bake. I would like to own a propane coleman cookstove as well for flexibility and because I fry bacon outside to prevent a mess inside the house! Those side burners on BBQs are really helpful but my Englander pellet grill doesn't have one.

Finally. On coffee. Yes, instant is good but if you're going to boil water anyway then you may as well use your french press. We use ours every day, right now I'm drinking coffee from the french press. They are cheap to buy and work very well. I was a drip coffee guy for many years but drinking 10 cups a day of that junk is easily replaced by 2 cups of good coffee. We dry camp and had to run the generator in the early morning to make coffee, not cool, so tried the french press and wow.

I also tried and still own a coleman brand stove top drip coffee machine that requires no power but just sits on the burner. It's fine if you like drip but slower than boiling a kettle.

As for coffee, time is of the essence workdays. I just recently heard of the french press appliance while doing research. It's got to be better than instant, sounds like better than drip coffee.

I'm fine with cooking outside year round. For first thing in the morning on workdays though I'd like to be able to boil water indoors for instant, or maybe french press coffee.

I have an old percolator That makes fantastic coffee
It was my grand Mothers so 1940s maybe
Dam you can still get them on amazon

I had coffee from a percolator years ago and must admit it was great. Good to know they're still available.
I think it's cool something that old can still be used and do a better job than a modern appliance.