Small Crack in Flue Liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

al.b

Nov 2, 2014
south jersey
Hello All,

I am getting ready to have a new wood burning stove installed in my home this week. I had a chimney cleaning and inspection yesterday and the chimney inspector said that there was a very small crack in the chimney lining. He actually said that he really had to search to even see it. He didn't make is seem like it was a huge deal but said he was glad I was aware of it. I asked how much it would cost to repair and he recommended getting it relined which would be around 1500. He said the chimney was pretty clean before he cleaned it. My question is should I still have the wood burning stove installed or get a new liner first. Unfortunately I have to stay in a budget, so I wouldn't be able to do both. I would probably just put it off until next year. How dangerous is going ahead with the stove installation? I just had the outside of chimney re wired, cemented, and stuccoed.
thanks for the help.

With out seeing it there I cant give you a great answer it might be ok but by the book if the liners are cracked at all they need to be replaced. What stove are you getting what size liner is it ect?

With out seeing it there I cant give you a great answer it might be ok but by the book if the liners are cracked at all they need to be replaced. What stove are you getting what size liner is it ect?
I didn't see the pictures of it guess I should have asked. The flue size is 8x8 and I am getting a smaller stove the Lopi Republic 1250. Will try to get pics. He said it would be around 1500 to get relined.

I will definitely get a second opinion. I guess my main question/concern is if there is a hairline crack, which is what the first company said, is that a huge concern for me as far as fire risk? I plan on cleaning the chimney once a year and burning seasoned hard firewood.

It probably is not but do you really want to take the chance. I agree about a second opinion honestly your new stove will work so much better on an insulated ss liner i would definatly think about doing it maybe wait a year if you have to

Last edited:
It probably is not but do you really want to take the chance.[/quo

I really don't want to risk anything as I have two little ones but unfortunately at this time can't afford to get it relined and get the new stove installed. If the hairline crack creates a more dangerous situation if will probably hold off until it fits in the budget. Sometimes when you get contractors to inspect things they put a little scare into you to force you to do the job. I am new to this and guess I don't understand how a hairline crack will create any dangerous situation.

that hair line crack can get allot bigger now even with a crack you will probably not burn your house down but it is one layer of protection between the flue and your house that is no longer intact. If i could see the video of the scan i could give you better input but with out seeing it i can only tell you that any responsible sweep will always recommend a liner if they find a cracked tile. When we do like most good sweeps we don't try to scare you we just try to explain the potential risks and the benefits of a new liner

that hair line crack can get allot bigger now even with a crack you will probably not burn your house down but it is one layer of protection between the flue and your house that is no longer intact. If i could see the video of the scan i could give you better input but with out seeing it i can only tell you that any responsible sweep will always recommend a liner if they find a cracked tile. When we do like most good sweeps we don't try to scare you we just try to explain the potential risks and the benefits of a new liner
Thanks for your expertise and help with this. I plan on getting a second opinion along with a video or picks to help me make a decision. The gentleman that came out didn't seem too concerned but said he recommended a new liner which I am sure he has to do for liability purposes. As of now I am leaning to just waiting until next year to get everything done. He did say the hairline crack was higher up on the chimney.

He did say the hairline crack was higher up on the chimney.

In a chimney fire high in the chimney often gets hotter than at the base. so unless it is above the roof line it is not any better to be high in the chimney

In a masonry flue with a clay liner there is a small crack everyplace one section of clay liner sits on the other section.
So if its a hair line crack then its about the same.

But if you have the money an insulated liner will improve your wood stove operation.

In a masonry flue with a clay liner there is a small crack everyplace one section of clay liner sits on the other section.
So if its a hair line crack then its about the same.

Well each of those seams is supposed to me mortared together and if mortar is missing upon inspection i will recommend a liner as well. And no the joints are not anything like a cracked tile. Like i have said before without seeing it it is impossible to say how bad it is. But basically if there are cracked tiles or missing mortar it should be lined

Status
Not open for further replies.