Small engine question - Echo 21 cc trimmer not running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can help me with a small engine problem. My weed eater, which was running great one day, suddenly refuses to start now. It has the same mix, same everything, except will not "turn over". After a few pulls, gas sprays out the exhaust. It is getting a spark, and getting fuel, it just won't catch. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

I would start by changing the plug... It isn't at all unusual on small engines for the plug to fail so that it looks good when testing outside the engine, but not work installed... Also look at the connections between the various parts in the air intake - particlularly the carb / engine joint - sometimes these can come loose and screw up your air mix.

How is the compression?

Have you checked the air filter?

Gooserider

If you've got fuel coming out the exhaust, most likely you've flooded it. The flooding might be a secondary issue if the plug has gone bad.

On my chain saw, if I pull the rope more than about 3 times with it fully choked, It'll flood. I've learned that the hard way. If it hasn't started on a few pulls, I have to adjust the choke. If it's not the plug, maybe it's just fussy.

-SF

New fuel or old? is it beyond its 5 year warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.