Small former coal burner changing to gas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Davidalevine

Nov 19, 2018
indiana
I have a beautifully restored fireplace that I would like to make a gas burner. Pics attached. The box is a trapezoid shape 16 inches across the back and 20 inches across the front and only 11 inches deep. Having trouble finding anyone around here who can make anything work in this small of a box. Any ideas of what we can do? Custom?

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0027 copy.jpg
    IMG_0027 copy.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 136
Here's a possibility. Not a BIG heater. Probably heat about a 250 sf room if it's well insulated...

http://pro.heatnglo.com/Design-and-Spec/Product-Drawings-and-Models/Product-Details.aspx?pid={590C6C78-5A8F-4F9D-B66E-28FFEF0DB454}&_ga=2.40703266.1630772431.1542661424-1703401976.1538787976

I see that's a direct vent ---- would you install that in the fireplace, abandon the existing chimney and take the vent out the sidewall?

How would that work converting a fireplace using a gas stove rather than a gas insert?

There are gas inserts made specifically for old coal fireplaces. I will have to look some up we did a few a couple years ago.

Reactions: DAKSY
I see that's a direct vent ---- would you install that in the fireplace, abandon the existing chimney and take the vent out the sidewall?

I would run a co-linear 3" liner kit down the chimney & hook a co-axial adapter to the liners & the stove.
I do NOT believe you will find many inserts to fit in those dimensions. A gas stove is a viable option - IF you
can accept the look...