Small Pellet Find

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Pencil

Oct 30, 2008
Tipp City, Ohio
Walked in TSC in Troy, Ohio. They were stocked with Somersets for $4.99/bag or $237/ton. As I walked past one aisle they had three bags that were ripped and taped for $2.49/bag. Went and loaded up the cart with the three bags. Even though I'm already ready for this winter I thought It was a good deal. Total weight of the 3 bags were 115.5 pounds. They had only lost 4.5 pounds. It made me wonder what other stores do. Throw away or retape and sell at discounted price.

Bantam said:
Walked in TSC in Troy, Ohio. They were stocked with Somersets for $4.99/bag or $237/ton. As I walked past one aisle they had three bags that were ripped and taped for $2.49/bag. Went and loaded up the cart with the three bags. Even though I'm already ready for this winter I thought It was a good deal. Total weight of the 3 bags were 115.5 pounds. They had only lost 4.5 pounds. It made me wonder what other stores do. Throw away or retape and sell at discounted price.
I found 25 bags at lowes at the end of last year that were all discounted because they were tore, can't remember what i gave for them but I want to say it was half price...half of what i don't know...lol.

I've been getting those 'clearance' pellets where I buy pellets also. $2.86 a bag at first, now they only mark down to $3.86. I weighed one of the 'open' bags on my bath scale and it was 41#.

Romy said:
I've been getting those 'clearance' pellets where I buy pellets also. $2.86 a bag at first, now they only mark down to $3.86. I weighed one of the 'open' bags on my bath scale and it was 41#.

Well, it wouldn't be surprising for an open bag to suck up a pound of water

hossthehermit said:
Romy said:

Well, it wouldn't be surprising for an open bag to suck up a pound of water

Really?
A pund of water would be a pint...i doubt thats the case. more likely is your bath scales read heavy.

Well one store around here used to tape them and mark them down 10%. Now they just tape them and sell them at regular price. Another store also does the same thing (tape them and sell them at regular price). So I have to be careful because if I pay regular price I don't want a bag that's been ripped open and taped.
But I have yet to see a bag of Rocky Mountain pellets that has been ripped open. Their bags seem thicker and more durable.

Filled my hopper last night using one of the clearance-priced bags. (temps are dropping next few days here...) There was no sign of water, minimal fines; just nice looking Pennington's. I suspect my bath scale isn't very accurate. Not likely to be water in open bags from Sam's -theirs are all stored inside.

I went back to one of the stores today that wasn't marking down the price for open bags last winter. They had a bag that was ripped open and taped for $1.00 off the regular price of $4.99, but it was at the bottom of a big stack so I didn't get it. I think last winter they weren't marking down the price because of the pellet shortage.

Rochester, NH HD marks them down, but good luck! so many employees burn pellets that you wouldn't have a chance to get them, I have been there enough to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.