Small pellet stove for kids room.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dwd902

Apr 4, 2020
NH
Hello all. I am looking for a small pellet stove that I can put in my kids room. There will be a gate and stuff around it but I also don't want it to be supper hot to the touch. I have wood stove as main heat but our poorly insulated barn doesn't keep her room warm. We live off grid also with no generator backup so something that is low in electricity for the blower. Thank you all in advanced.

I'm thinking that is not a good idea, and may be illegal (depending on you town codes).

It would be a challenge to find a stove that is smaller than 38k btu - which would probably be way too much for a bedroom (IDK, maybe your kid has a 500+ sq/ft area). Although we like to encourage getting a larger stove than you think you need, that would be way too much for a bedroom. It would be cycling a lot for short time periods, which would probably affect the amount of crud build-up in the exhaust. Short run times would probably keep the exterior of the stove getting too hot (although the glass for the door would always get too hot for touching), but if for some reason it runs for a decent time, most probably get hot enough to burn skin - at least the P-series Harmans do. And, if you have a trailer (which I doubt if there is an attached barn), then placing a pellet stove in a bedroom is forbidden.

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, but I'm would venture to say that a pellet stove is not the best solution. I would think that a propane heater would be a better option.

You could look at a Enviro mini (30,000 BTU)
stove body stays cool but glass gets hot.
As said above check your local regulations
may not be allowed in a bed room

See post #11 here.

Reactions: mtnbiker727
It would be a lot safer and probably cheaper to insulate better...

Ceiling fans.. Get some ceiling fans in the main living area and in the Kids That little bit of air flow on Low makes a huge difference. I have one ceiling fan in the kitchen that is close to the hallway and it moves enough air to keep the back bedrooms warm.. You need to move the warm air you have and work on insulating starting with the kids bedroom's