Small Pot Belly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jordan

Apr 25, 2018
emmett, idaho
Anyone know where new small pot belly stoves can be had? Would be willing to import if available. Needing a hand full for upcoming historic reproduction work.

Clarke in the UK had one but has since been discontinued.

If moulds were available in the use or a foundry had them I would be willing to have them casted.

Clarke stove.jpeg

Anyone know where new small pot belly stoves can be had? Would be willing to import if available. Needing a hand full for upcoming historic reproduction work.

Clarke in the UK had one but has since been discontinued.

If moulds were available in the use or a foundry had them I would be willing to have them casted.

View attachment 280067
None are legal for sale in the us anymore

None are legal for sale in the us anymore

I dont think importing them would be a problem if defined as "camp stove" or "decrative" only.

Most stoves are not EPA and UL certified for the US market. I'm not interested in a stove meeting those standards for in home applications.

I dont think importing them would be a problem if defined as "camp stove" or "decrative" only.

Most stoves are not EPA and UL certified for the US market. I'm not interested in a stove meeting those standards for in home applications.
You could import antiques not new ones legally. I am sure you could get away with it but really there are enough old ones around why bother?

You could import antiques not new ones legally. I am sure you could get away with it but really there are enough old ones around why bother?
Time and amount needed. Its a real headache looking for this stuff. Would be a full time job buying and shipping these for a few months.

Look for used caboose stoves.

Like I said....Importing shouldn't be a problem. Cheap Chinese stuff is part of our American heritage.
It shouldn't be a problem unless you get caught. You probably won't but you don't want to pay the fines if you do

It shouldn't be a problem unless you get caught. You probably won't but you don't want to pay the fines if you do
I think its illegal in use or sale not importing. Also can be defined as "camp stove" for the purpose of resale. Doesnt have to meet any requirements under that definition

I think its illegal in use or sale not importing. Also can be defined as "camp stove" for the purpose of resale. Doesnt have to meet any requirements under that definition
The "camp stove" thing was eliminated with the last round of regulations because us stove co was taking advantage of it to sell their crap here. I see they are now getting away with it by claiming it's only for coal.

The "camp stove" thing was eliminated with the last round of regulations because us stove co was taking advantage of it to sell their crap here. I see they are now getting away with it by claiming it's only for coal.
I'm sad to see that. Unfortunately that means a lot of small stove makers like 'Navigator Stove Works' wont be in business. Also a shame for those making great small stoves for marine use abroad wont be able to import.

How are the 'outdoor and tent' stoves getting approval?

I'm sad to see that. Unfortunately that means a lot of small stove makers like 'Navigator Stove Works' wont be in business. Also a shame for those making great small stoves for marine use abroad wont be able to import.
Why should they not have to follow the same rules as all other manufacturers?

Ben, be careful what you wish for. You might want to go camping some day and need a small camp stove or even build a camp fire, God forbid. SHhhhhhh...

Ben, be careful what you wish for. You might want to go camping some day and need a small camp stove or even build a camp fire, God forbid. SHhhhhhh...
No one is banning campfires. And I go camping all the time no way in hell I would sleep next to one of the POS camp stoves. I wouldn't have an issue with them getting an exemption for emissions. The market is so small it wouldn't make any difference. It is the safety issues that bother me.

Ah I love those old pot belly stoves that they had in the railroad stations and I love those tiny stoves too and bholler you just have the wrong attitude about all those things as well as all those bear stoves...lol clancey

Ah I love those old pot belly stoves that they had in the railroad stations and I love those tiny stoves too and bholler you just have the wrong attitude about all those things as well as all those bear stoves...lol clancey
What things? I have absolutely no problem with quality pot belly stoves. The one he linked to is an absolutely horrible Chinese copy with terrible quality castings. They are dangerous.

As far as fishers go I don't dislike them they are fine in the right situation I even have one I use occasionally in an out building. But I would never heat my house with one they just aren't efficent enough for me to do that

What do you think about these types of tiny stoves and I hope the company does not go out of business and I could see these in boats or even maybe tents....I think they are adorable...clancey

What do you think about these types of tiny stoves and I hope the company does not go out of business and I could see these in boats or even maybe tents....I think they are adorable...clancey

They make fantastic stoves for the purpose. They even have one that is emissions compliant in Europe. Don't think it is here yet