Q&A Small Prefab Wood Burning Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Do you know of any manufacturer that makes a 24" wood burning fireplace. We would like to put one in the bathroom of our vacation home but cannot find one that size. Thanks.

Answer:

I checked several manufacturers, such as Majestic, Heatilator, Heat N Glo, and Temco, but could not find a 24" wide fireplace. You may find this in gas, perhaps, but my search did not include that option.

I'm sure the reason for not having such a small opening is
#1, sales--------everyone wants a bigger fireplace view. And
#2, performance------small fireplace fireboxes could lead to smoke entering the room in fluctuating draft conditions if not designed properly. My assumption is that combining #1 & #2 would lead fireplace manufacturers away from smaller wood fireplaces.

Having worked for one previously, I know that the trend is toward larger fireplaces both wood & gas.

You may, however, have luck with smaller electric and/or gas fireplaces. They have a decent aesthetic treatment, and can also provide spot heat if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.