Small question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

patrickk222

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2021
alderson wv
I have a small question last yr i had planted 2 red mulberry trees towards the fall they did good and appeared to make it through the fall but my problem is they haven't leafed out yet or shown signs of buds and what have ya ... and 2 i know my area this year had a very odd spring to say the least so far where it would be nice n warm for a few days then go right down to freezin and below freezin so my question is has anybody ever deal with a newly transplanted tree not leafin out come spring and how ?

Keep them well watered. I had that happen for two Rose of Sharons - I started giving them good drinks of water a couple of times a week and the leafed out for me. Keep them well watered thru until fall, then next spring they should have enough root system to not need the maintenance.

Is there still live cambium? I’d scrape just a bit of bark off to see if there’s a green or live layer below. A fingernail pressed in would tell you everything. If there is, wait it out. Plants work to their own schedule. If there isn’t, that part is dead. Check an area closer to the ground.

Ditto what the other two said. As to mulberry, my white one is already fruiting, and I'm a good few hours drive north of you. We used to have a red, just over my property line, but the neighbor took it out to put in a driveway. :(

Reactions: patrickk222
Is there still live cambium? I’d scrape just a bit of bark off to see if there’s a green or live layer below. A fingernail pressed in would tell you everything. If there is, wait it out. Plants work to their own schedule. If there isn’t, that part is dead. Check an area closer to the ground.
It seems like the 2/3rds of the plant look healthy

Keep them well watered. I had that happen for two Rose of Sharons - I started giving them good drinks of water a couple of times a week and the leafed out for me. Keep them well watered thru until fall, then next spring they should have enough root system to not need the maintenance.
Will do

Then you’ll want to wait it out. If your soil is clay, don’t water too much! Clay can act like a bucket and drown the plant.