Small saw to go with my CS-590?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
Have a 14" electric rybobi which works great for trail work but does not last long enough while dealing with dead fall fire wood. Love the cs-590 and its great for bucking up the bigger pieces which I have plenty of but once I work way up the tree becomes a hassle and tireing.

Have been debating a new CS-3510 for $400 cdn but also found a descent looking CS-370 for $250 cdn.

What do you all recommend for a smaller saw?

That cs370 is supposed to be a good saw. I would buy that. I don't think it is a "strato" saw, while the 3510 might very well be. I have no personal experience with those models, but I'm a bit of a saw freak and have read some things about them and have held a 370 in my hands years ago. Shoulda bought it that day...oh well. I had no idea at the time how handy a small lightweight saw could be. If that 370 is in really nice shape snap it up.

I have a 590 and a bunch of other saws.

I went out on a limb and bought a zenoah 2500 copy chinese top handle this spring (amazon). I am shocked at how capable this 25cc saw is! I have a 40cc saw too. You may not want a top handle, but my point is that some of these little saws are very capable cutters.

Just for giggles, and because it's so light and handy, I cut a couple of cords or more of my firewood solely with the 25cc saw. Other than the bending down to buck, it's nice to run a very lightweight saw. I dropped several 10-14" beetle-killed pines with the 25cc saw no problem, other than having to pay attention to line up my cuts as it is unnatural for me to run a top handle at this point. Then I bucked them up with the bar buried over and over again. It's all about the sharpening job..

Those 590's are decent, but handle kinda like a cinder block so limbing is a lot nicer with almost anything else.

If I was going to recommend a small saw it would unquestioningly be a Dolmar 420/421/Makita 4300. However makita is no longer supporting their gas equipment so parts will become an issue sooner rather than later. I have a Dolmar 420 and it is a cadillac of a saw.

Reactions: mcdougy