Small scale?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
I keep finding myself looking for a small, accurate scale.

I'd like to keep track of some wood weight to see how things are seasoning and drying, and other assorted things like keeping track of aluminum can batches for the recycler.

Probably up to 20 or 30 lbs would be best.

Any suggestions?

Figure out what the local drug pushers are using...

But seriously, how accurate do you want to get? Amazon is probably full of cheap, fairly accurate digital scales good enough to weigh a split.

It's all in what you want to pay. EBay is probably a decent source if you're looking for triple beam balance sort of things too. I know somebody who uses one for baking. I made an off color comment about her cooking up a batch of meth and got "The look", but it's where my mid goes naturally.

Figure out what the local drug pushers are using...

But seriously, how accurate do you want to get? Amazon is probably full of cheap, fairly accurate digital scales good enough to weigh a split.

It's all in what you want to pay. EBay is probably a decent source if you're looking for triple beam balance sort of things too. I know somebody who uses one for baking. I made an off color comment about her cooking up a batch of meth and got "The look", but it's where my mid goes naturally.
I already have a small one. Not for drugs, btw, I actually don't even remember why I got it now. It was cheap from HF, probably for cooking or something. I'm looking for a bigger one, but smaller than a bathroom scale.

If I could somewhat accurately weigh a split of wood, and tell how many ounces I'm losing over different intervals, I'd be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Up to 5 lbs for letters and small boxes and also for kitchen measurements, I use a small postal scale. I've had it since 2012. No issues ever at the Post Office or when measuring food.

Weighmax USPS Style 5 Pound Postal Mailing Scale

Inexpensive way to go for heavier and bulkier items is a hanging scale. I have a couple different ones. This one is for up to 110 lbs:

American Weigh Scales H-110 Digital Hanging Scale
Thanks TP! I saw the hanging ones, reminded me of the ones I had in my tackle boxes 30 years ago, but looks like they've come a long way.

I keep finding myself looking for a small, accurate scale.

I'd like to keep track of some wood weight to see how things are seasoning and drying, and other assorted things like keeping track of aluminum can batches for the recycler.

Probably up to 20 or 30 lbs would be best.

Any suggestions?

A patient last night had one in his back room. Will not need it for 5-10 years. I can check on it’s availability if you want me to.

A patient last night had one in his back room. Will not need it for 5-10 years. I can check on it’s availability if you want me to.
Thanks for the offer! I'll find what I'm after, locally. Just one of those things that I want to put my hands on before I buy.

Was at the grocery store last night and they were selling a suitcase scale. It was like $8 and measured up to 50lbs to the tenths place. It might be worth looking at.

Was at the grocery store last night and they were selling a suitcase scale. It was like $8 and measured up to 50lbs to the tenths place. It might be worth looking at.
Yes, good idea I'll be getting one of those as well. Hopefully the one at Aldi goes on sale next week, they had quite a few last week.

http://offers.kd2.org/en/us/aldi/pcIig/

Interesting... They show it weighing to the hundredths place!
Many times if you're patient and are willing to take the risk of missing out, Aldi marks the price down considerably to move stuff like this in the weeks after it's out. I got an electric chainsaw there for $20. And it's just like all the other electric chainsaws. Great for small stuff and cutting down the occasional split that's too long.