1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Small scrounge eye candy

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by WiscWoody, Jul 3, 2014.

1. WiscWoody

WiscWoody Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Wisconsin where us fools live
    A dead standing tree had fell just down the road a few blocks and at first I didn't think much of it until I noticed how dark the wood was. It lay part on the road and the rest in the ditch so I got the ok from the landowner and cut some up and put it on pallets until next spring when I'll be refilling some racks. It's real heavy and I'm not sure what it is. At first I thought it might be Black Ash as it's common here but the rings aren't tight enough for the very slow growing tree. Some say it could be Red Oak but I hardly see any Oak in this area but twenty miles from hear it's common. The pictures aren't too good from the low sun. image.jpg Happy 4th everyone!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    NordicSplitter likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Hard to say from that set of pics. Some split wood pics and better end grain shots might help...
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    My guess is red oak. But the pics leave a lot to be desired. Wet the end grain then take a pic.