Small stove loading techniques

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
I was wondering how other small stove users load their stove for max burn times? With a small stove I try to pack in a way that I get the most heat with the longest burn every time.

I found that by making a wood sandwich seems to work well for me. ie:

6 splits all together, mind you they are smaller than most would consider splits.
loading EW two small splits on the bottom, one front one back
two medium splits in the middle one front one back
top off with two more small splits same way.

I've found during the reload, the smaller splits get everything up to temp and obviously burn faster, while in a way protecting the medium splits to catch during the cruising part of the burn.

Can anyone confirm with science or experience that this actually works or all in my head?

How do you load your small stove?

That seems pretty complicated. With my small stove I follow the surface area train of thought.

Build bed of coals during the evening.

Shove 2 large hunks of wood into woodstove before bed.

The larger the splts the less surface area there is to offgas and burn. Thus the fire will burn longer. They probably hold a little more water weight due too their size than the smaller splits too. This should slow the burn down a little also.

Matt

ckarotka said:
I was wondering how other small stove users load their stove for max burn times? With a small stove I try to pack in a way that I get the most heat with the longest burn every time.

I found that by making a wood sandwich seems to work well for me. ie:

6 splits all together, mind you they are smaller than most would consider splits.
loading EW two small splits on the bottom, one front one back
two medium splits in the middle one front one back
top off with two more small splits same way.

I've found during the reload, the smaller splits get everything up to temp and obviously burn faster, while in a way protecting the medium splits to catch during the cruising part of the burn.

Can anyone confirm with science or experience that this actually works or all in my head?

How do you load your small stove?

Um, I cram as much wood in the bastard as possible. Usually wake up to 300-350* temps.

Still experimenting with mine. I bought all of my wood and have found it better to re-split almost all of it as small as possible with the maul. It helps me get more wood in the stove and keeps the fire from getting too choked. I noticed with bigger pieces, they get choked and don't burn well. They end up just turning to coal, which build up too fast. Once I get my chainsaw up and running again, I would like to do alot more south north loading. It seems that I get a much better even burn when I have tried it.

i put 2 big splits on bottom with one or two smaller ones on top and let it go i try to hold back some bigger oak splits for over night burns. damper down then back it off a little. works good.....

I also do a mix of sizes...start small on the bottom, go for bigger through the middle, and top off with small-medium, which catch and throw the secondaries going...I find that because my bigger pieces have more water they take quite a while to catch, and the smaller stuff is just there to drive the secondaries to catch the smoke from the big chunks, and that tapers out the burn a little...first small stuff, then when that's out is when the bigger pieces start burning nice

To me it depends on what shape splits I have.

If I have all triangular splits, I take the biggest one and but it in the bottom middle with the point sticking up. One triangular piece on either side wedged against the first triangle and the stove walls, and then one triangular piece in the top middle.

If I have Rectangular pieces, i just stack 2 and 2 to make a t shape.

To me it is fairly simple: Open door, fill with wood. Close door.

Depends on what I'm starting with. #1 Nice bed of coals: Put in as much as I can regardless of sizes. Fill in voids with small rounds if need be. #2 Not so great bed of coals: small rounds or splits (usually softwood like poplar), then on top of that put some larger oak splits. Then fill voids with small rounds.

Air control: Typciall crack the ash pan if loading first thing in morning or after work just to get things going good and get my cat up to temp. Once thats done I close everything and engaged the cat. I've come home after about 9.5 hrs and still had coals ready for my #2 startup process.

Biggest split on the bottom in the back to help ensure coals in the morning. Smallest piece in front to help it light off. Fill it otherwise.
Sometimes it takes a while to really get going. I'll try bsearcey's method, and load some smaller splits on the bottom if the coal bed is not great.

Big box, small box, same rules apply. If you want the fire to last take the biggest split you have and place it farthest from the air supply then fill from there. This will give the longest burn but not the hottest burn.

I cut 2 really tall straight 12" black birch trees this past spring and only split the ones that wouldn't fit thru the door of my stove. I have since spread all those rounds through my wood stacks. When I want a lasting fire, I grab one of those slightly green rounds and roll it in the back right on the stove floor with my coals pulled in front I then put splits in front and the last thing to go is that big old round. Works great every time.

Backwoods Savage said:
To me it is fairly simple: Open door, fill with wood. Close door.
U R A MAN OF INFINITE WISDOM. ZEN MASTER :coolsmile:

Put on gloves. Cram with wood. Close door.

Corriewf said:
Still experimenting with mine. I bought all of my wood and have found it better to re-split almost all of it as small as possible with the maul. It helps me get more wood in the stove and keeps the fire from getting too choked. I noticed with bigger pieces, they get choked and don't burn well. They end up just turning to coal, which build up too fast. Once I get my chainsaw up and running again, I would like to do a lot more south north loading. It seems that I get a much better even burn when I have tried it.

This is what I notice also. I know the wood is dry, tested out at 18%. I know I sacrifice burn times with smaller splits but I get the heat output I need to heat the house. If I went to N/S loading my splits would have to be re cut to around 8". I might cut a few today and see the difference.

For me having a small stove is really getting old fast. I couldn't pass it up to get started burning. Quad 400 brand new floor model for $300us four years ago.

ckarotka said:
Corriewf said:
Still experimenting with mine. I bought all of my wood and have found it better to re-split almost all of it as small as possible with the maul. It helps me get more wood in the stove and keeps the fire from getting too choked. I noticed with bigger pieces, they get choked and don't burn well. They end up just turning to coal, which build up too fast. Once I get my chainsaw up and running again, I would like to do a lot more south north loading. It seems that I get a much better even burn when I have tried it.

This is what I notice also. I know the wood is dry, tested out at 18%. I know I sacrifice burn times with smaller splits but I get the heat output I need to heat the house. If I went to N/S loading my splits would have to be re cut to around 8". I might cut a few today and see the difference.

For me having a small stove is really getting old fast. I couldn't pass it up to get started burning. Quad 400 brand new floor model for $300us four years ago.

For 300 that is a steal! I spent 900 on my Vogelzang and I bet your Quad puts out more heat. ;)

I have not noticed much of a difference with burn time regarding the smaller splits. Yeah they are smaller, but I can fit more wood so I think it works out to be the same. I have had coals 16 hours later so.

Status
Not open for further replies.