1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Smart Wood/Timber holder

Post in 'The Gear' started by Laurent Cyr, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Laurent Cyr

Laurent Cyr Member

Loc:
    St-André Avellin, Quebec, Canada

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

3. Laurent Cyr

Laurent Cyr Member

Loc:
    St-André Avellin, Quebec, Canada
    After putting in this post, I went out and tried the holder after supper last night. In the past, I`ve just piled up my branches and smaller logs, and then just cut them in 16 inch pièces on the top of the pile. I`ve had some kick-back doing it this way.
    Using the holder, depending on the size of the branches or logs, you can put more than one, and at any length. The holder is pretty sturdy, as long as it is put on a level surface.
    I also put in a 10 inch log on the bottom part of the holder, and the holder kept it in place for me to cut it properly.

I see some advantages to using the holder:
    1- no more kickback from cutting the wood from a wood pile
    2-saving the chain from hitting the ground
    3- curring branches and logs at a more comfortable height, versus stooping over.

Disadvantages:
    1-having to load the branches or logs on the holder
    2-price

I guess building a wooden sawbuck is less costly and easier to use in the long run. Also, if you accidently hit the wooden sawbuck with the chainsaw, it`s not a problem. If you hit the metal holder with the chainsaw, wel....
    However, I like the fact that the holder can be folded and transported.

smokinj likes this.
  4. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    If it works and you like it that is all that matters but a homebrew wood sawbuck can be easily made in a foldable version with carriage bolts.
  5. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia