Smell on one side of double sided masonry FP w/gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HeatherF

Dec 1, 2018
Lake Forest, IL
Hi! New here & will probably sound ridiculous but have a question so here goes :). Thanks so much for any helpful info!

We have a double sided, masonry, FP with gas logs. One side of the FP (the room I should say) smells when we have it on. It smells like... well... sort of like when you grill w/charcoal. It gives me a headache. I have the glass doors open on that side (which is our home office) and the other side is wide open & has no doors, which faces our eat-in kitchen.

What’s weird is our last home had the exact same smell/issue. We had a 2 story, double sided masonry FP & it smelled in the kitchen but not in the FR (the FP was between those 2 rooms).

What say you? Why does one side only smell? I also try cracking a window in the room on the side that smells but it doesn’t completely eliminate the smell. Plus it’s cold here in Chicago & it sort of defeats the purpose to open a window. My husband says it’s fine but my mom gut says something is not right . Thanks for any help!

Double sided fireplaces typicaly draft very poorly. The ratio between fire box opening and flue liner is usually pretty far off.

Thank you! Do you think it’s ok to run? Or I guess what I should ask is if you think the odor is dangerous?
I wouldnt personally.