Smelly Fireplace wall cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
Got a Century CW2500 installed before the end of the season. The fireplace was smelly before liner installation, I ask them to clean the chimney with chemicals but the installer said it may damage the flue. I didn't do it based on their feedback. 2 months later, on a warm day, we smell it again on warmer days. Sniffed inside the stove, nothing. Took the shroud out and found the walls of the fireplace is still smelly. Here is the puzzling part, I clearly remember the walls were fairly greyish in color but now seems like there's a coating of black stuff sticking on the surface, does that mean the liner wasn't installed properly and leaking back into the fireplace? If not, what would yall recommend using to effectively clean the buildup off of the fireplace?

That doesn't sound right. Is there a full liner from the insert up to the chimney cap?

Got a Century CW2500 installed before the end of the season. The fireplace was smelly before liner installation, I ask them to clean the chimney with chemicals but the installer said it may damage the flue. I didn't do it based on their feedback. 2 months later, on a warm day, we smell it again on warmer days. Sniffed inside the stove, nothing. Took the shroud out and found the walls of the fireplace is still smelly. Here is the puzzling part, I clearly remember the walls were fairly greyish in color but now seems like there's a coating of black stuff sticking on the surface, does that mean the liner wasn't installed properly and leaking back into the fireplace? If not, what would yall recommend using to effectively clean the buildup off of the fireplace?
get a new sweep there to evaluate things something sounds very wrong

Yes, something stinks about this installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.