Hi, The house we are renting (in France) often smells strongly of smoke even though the fireplace is not lit and there is a glass screen pulled down in front of the hearth. It can last for a few hours or for many days - like this week. It smells like sausage smoke house and it hits you when you enter from outside ! There is no smoke to be seen, only the smell. The chimney and hearth is cleaned regularly. I wake up from the strong smell in the middle of the night sometimes. It gives me headaches and can be nauseating when particularly strong. The smell happens, it seems, on overcast and grey days, possibly due to low pressure in the air...? Downdraft ? Anyway, I need to know what could be the reason, if is dangerous to live with and how to fix it. The owners of the house just shrug their shoulders and tells me it is not serious. But I am not so sure..... It is definitely not fun to live with. Thanks for any advise you may be able to give me.