1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Smoke detectors??

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by michael, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael

michael New Member

Haven't been here in awhile. I see many familiar faces. Craig you have done a wonderful job with the site!

I'm looking to replace our older smoke detectors, and would like to upgrade to the newest technology. I remember Elk saying something about smoke VS fire detectors, and what NOT to buy. It's been some time ago, but does anybody remember the jist of the advice?

I purchased a stand alone carbon monoxide detector last year BTW, so I have that covered.

Hope everyone is staying safe and their fires are burning bright!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    http://www.kidde.com
    try this site
    two types of detectors. one is ionizing, one is photo electric one detects smoldering fires the other more along the lines of all out flames and smoke.
    best bet would be to get a dual purpose.
  3. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I have the 2 dual sensor ones in the house. One on each floor and another ionization in the master bedroom. CO detector is in the hallway upstairs where the bedrooms are.

Matt
  4. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    I second that. I have replacing all the ones In this house this year with them. Send the old ones back for recycling to the manufacturer. They contain radiative elements you do not want in your land fill.
  5. daldrich

daldrich New Member

We had gutted our house and installed interconnected AC detectors per code. With 1 in each bedroom, each level and the basement that came to a total of 7 for a 1200 sq/ft home! When they go off you know it. I went with the Firex 12000 series as it was the only one I found that would indicate which alarm was tripping off the others. At the time the Kiddie models I saw did not have that feature.

-d
  6. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Combo ion photo electric are the way to go. A problem is inter facing with existing you may have to replaced them all
    there is also a combination Carbon monoxide expensive but could be used to protect the stairways
  7. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Arrrgh, I am TIRED if the nuisance alarm!!!!

We have one at the bottom of the stairs that goes off if we have the cooking oven on a HOT setting and also when add wood to a HOT fire.

I'm going to Needham Electric and let them tell me what should go in what rooms.

All alarms (sans the CO2) are FIREX

Staying safe, sure I havent had a fire in the stove in about a week. Been warm AND rainy here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.