1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucketboy

bucketboy Member

Loc:
    central ontario
    wondered why older stoves are called smoke dragons? we have an old lakewood and i only have smoke for approx 5 min after loading the stove or upon a cold chimney.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. brianbeech

brianbeech Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I believe it was because most of them aren't nearly as clean burning as new stoves and tend to send a lot of smoke up the chimney. With the EPA ratings, most pre-EPA stoves are considered to be not nearly as efficient; I'm sure this is because many of the Mfgs put a lot of science into the new burning techniques and have greatly lowered their unburned particle output. I do believe that my 1970's era Jotul 118 burns quite clean when hot...of course, this is just a feeling. :D
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Fact is that a non-epa stove will probably NEVER burn as clean as the EPA - BUT - that doesn't mean that a properly burning old stove cant do a good job. The term comes from the huge old stoves that were loaded with tons of wood (often green) and then cranked down to a smolder, with the chimneys looking like an old steam engine pulling a load up a hill.

If you run an older stove with good temps, you will not get the billowing smoke that the smoke dragons are known for. (good, dry wood too)
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well said!
  5. RNLA

RNLA Minister of Fire

I know of a few "dragons" in my area. I can tell you that the users are not doing anything to support clean burning. This is unfortunate because they can be a somewhat clean burn. The wood is a big part but it is hard to tell anyone about it, they like I, will not know until they use truly dry wood to burn...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.