smoke fom vent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
While outside this morning clearing snow i noticed white smoke blowing out from the vent cap.It only did it for a minute or two and then cleared up.I was under the impression that pellet stoves don't give off any smoke except maybe at start-up.

urkiddin said:
While outside this morning clearing snow i noticed white smoke blowing out from the vent cap.It only did it for a minute or two and then cleared up.I was under the impression that pellet stoves don't give off any smoke except maybe at start-up.

Was it smoke or water vapor?

SmokeyTheBear said:
urkiddin said:

Was it smoke or water vapor?

Good question Smoky.It had been burning all nite so i would think any moisture would have been dried up.

Hot exhaust gases hitting cold air frequently result in the little bit of water vapor in the gases condensing thus becoming visible, this can also be noted from just about any chimney on a nice crisp morning.

In other words.. the same stuff that comes out of your mouth when it is cold :)

When my stove first starts up, I always get smoke outside my vent. Usually lasts a minute and then it's gone. It doesn't matter what the outside temp is.

Status
Not open for further replies.