Smoke from underside of Jotul F-500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

doros

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2008
Chesterfield, VA
This is our fourth season with our Jotul F-500. At the end of last year's season we moved. Now when I start it up, there is a small amount of smoke coming from the oval opening on the bottom - near the rear of the stove. Once the draft gets going, the smoke doesn't come out anymore. Any suggestions on the cause and cure?

Also, can anyone tell me about the purpose of the mesh under the hot plate on this stove? Mine is deteriorated & needs replacement. Where can I get a replacement piece? Many thanks - hope everyone is safe with this storm.

I would guess its a draft issue/ how tall is your flue? when was the last time you cleaned it? as far as the mesh under the oval..... im confused. not sure i have a clear picture of what you are talking about. can you post a pic of it?

The mesh under the oval on the top plate has a gasket, not sure if that's what your referring to or not. As far as the smoke coming out at the bottom rear of the stove, I would attribute that to the draft as well. Things maybe a lot different since your stove has moved to a new location.

I would guess its a draft issue/ how tall is your flue? when was the last time you cleaned it? as far as the mesh under the oval..... im confused. not sure i have a clear picture of what you are talking about. can you post a pic of it?

i've attached two pics - one of my setup & the other of the mess. all the piping is new. i have 4ft of double wall straight up, then 90 out the side with another 16ft up the side of the house.

Attachments

• Smoke from underside of Jotul F-500
    stove1.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 591
    stove2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 670
There's your problem. Apparently a shark's tooth has found its way into your stove. ;lol
Seriously, I have no idea what I'm looking at there...

that my friend is the insulation blanket and possibly the cause of your issue. it is to sit flat on top of the baffle. when you had this installed before was your flue mostly outside the home as it is in this install? if not that could be part 2 of your issue. outside flues take more to heat up and get a solid draft in them. how do you start your fires?

Well, the torn fabric is the insulation blanket. It does not need to be replaced, just piece it back together. As for the smoke issue, i wonder if your two 90s are affe ting your draft.

my old set-up went direct out the back & then 90 up a masonary chimney with a liner. no draft issues. I guess the 2 90s are the problem with this setup. I'll be gentle with the insulation blanket & put it back in place - i lifted it so everyone could see it. there was a substantial amount of ash on top of it prior to cleaning it.

so can you tell us how you start your fires? maybe you could join the wonderful world of super cedars like many of us have on here. really helps at start up!

I start from the bottom up with criss-crossed logs. Have a few scrap pieces on the bottom of the pile to get it off the bottom when cold. Maybe I should try a top-down burn? I have mostly red oak - seasoned for three years now. Typical set up is attached. thoughts?

Attachments

stove3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 355
i know when ever i light one with a possible draft issue top down is the only way for me. to each there own but i would recommend trying more kindling first your way. the hotter you can make it at the start the better off you will be.

How tall is the chimney above the tee outside?

Fix the insulation blanket. Make sure that the horiz. section of pipe is pitched uphill toward the tee 1/4" per foot or more. Make sure the cleanout cap is tight outside. If that doesn't help maybe wait for cooler temps and lower winds or add another length of pipe to the chimney?

I've got 16 feet above the outside tee. I've got a few things to try. Hopefully I can get it straight. Thanks to everyone who replied & put in their $0.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.