smoke in hopper syndrome....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanhoe

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2008
great white northern ontario
hi,
after three years of burning pellets with no side effects, smoke in hopper pops up? i just recently added OAK to the stove and i taught all would be well in years to come. i just cleaned the stove and put in my newly acquired Trebio pellets and out of nowhere, smoke in hopper. when the Trebio's stash ran out, in went the Lacwood pellets and the smoke in hopper is still present just not as bad as before????? i did some research on the problem and i think the Trebio's left a residue in the auger assembly. i will do a nuclear burn and do a tee clean out tomorrow and see if this remedies the problem. any other suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Does your stove have the crossover tube kit? I recently added it to my 06 Accentra and before I had smoke and now no signs of smoke!!

crossover kit? is this sort of a heat exchanger system? this morning, i didn't notice any smoke in the hopper, gotta be the pellets!

mepellet said:
My harman has a slide plate at the bottom of the hopper that I thought prevents smoke from entering the hopper. Am I wrong?

Do a search on gummy stove.

ivanhoe said:
crossover kit? is this sort of a heat exchanger system? this morning, i didn't notice any smoke in the hopper, gotta be the pellets!

If you take off your rear panel and see if a clear silcone tube is near the intake, then your ok. Really has nothing to do with the pellets. But would advise and check your slide plate for gummy stuff...

Lineman30 said:
ivanhoe said:

If you take off your rear panel and see if a clear silcone tube is near the intake, then your ok. Really has nothing to do with the pellets. But would advise and check your slide plate for gummy stuff...

that's right, i've forgotten about the silicone tube to hopper assembly. i do not believe i have one. stove was built in 2006 i think. gummy stove can also play a role on this. i will have to shut her down and see.....thx for the heads up!

I was surprised to get smoke in the hopper. Turned out it came after the stove ran out of pellets and shut down, there was a "bird's nest" of smoldering ash in the burn pot. The pellets were Canadian Energex. I get a good size ash clump after one to two bags. I get good heat as long as I keep those nest cleaned out. Still have 2.5 tons to go before I have them used up. I'll be warm, but also very busy keeping up with them. When burning clean pellets, this doesn't happen.

ivanhoe said:
Lineman30 said:
ivanhoe said:

that's right, i've forgotten about the silicone tube to hopper assembly. i do not believe i have one. stove was built in 2006 i think. gummy stove can also play a role on this. i will have to shut her down and see.....thx for the heads up!

Mine is also a 06 model. I've cleaned the tube and auger because of the gummy stuff. Might want to check it when you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.