Smoke leak on maiden burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RamMasterFlash

Sep 13, 2022
Connecticut
I've got a brand new Ashley Hearth 1,200 sq ft fireplace insert. After reading a few threads here about how to burn your first fire, I went with a kindling only top down approach. Flames went out pretty much immediately and lots of smoke produced in the firebox. To my shock and surprise, smoke immediately started leaking into my living room from the right side of the oven. Video attached (apologies for the language...)

Once I got the fire properly going, the smoke issue stopped, but still felt it shouldn't have happened in the first place. I called the manufacturer and they said it was normal and that it was just oil and paint burning off. I will believe this only if I hear it from the experts on this forum.

So, could the smoke you see in the video be just oil and paint? or is there a bigger issue to uncover?

?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2219 (1).MOV
    17.5 MB
Draft is weak. Once the flue liner got warmed up it improved. What was the outdoor temp when this was happening?

Is the insert connected to a 6" stainless liner for the full length of the chimney? How tall is this liner?

Is this a basement install?

Not a basement. Just the ground floor of an old late 19th century stone cottage as seen in picture during my install below.

It was probably warmer outside than it was inside. Despite conditions not being good, needed to run a first fire to cure the cement.

Smoke leak on maiden burn Smoke leak on maiden burn

Very nice. Things should settle down and behave well once the outside temp is lower than 50º. The stove will still stink as the paint bakes in. Open the windows and put a fan blowing the smoke out.

Reactions: RamMasterFlash
I’m not a pro, but my gut feeling with reading your post was this had to do with it being the first fire (stuff burning off) and the poor draft influences by warm outside temps, like BeGreen said.
If this happens after first couple/few fires and the weather is a little cooler (like in the 40’s or lower, then that may be an issue.

Reactions: RamMasterFlash
I’m not a pro, but my gut feeling with reading your post was this had to do with it being the first fire (stuff burning off) and the poor draft influences by warm outside temps, like BeGreen said.
If this happens after first couple/few fires and the weather is a little cooler (like in the 40’s or lower, then that may be an issue.
Very nice. Things should settle down and behave well once the outside temp is lower than 50º. The stove will still stink as the paint bakes in. Open the windows and put a fan blowing the smoke out.
Thanks guys. I will wait till the temp drops a bit and do a second test run. Will let you know how it goes.