Smoke Shelf Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danster

Nov 1, 2015
Arkansas
I am new to this forum so please bear with me. I am in the process of installing a new woodburning fireplace insert in my home. I have a masonry fireplace that was built approx in 1993 when my house was built. I am installing a new stainless liner to the insert and the smoke shelf is in the way. I started the process of removing the shelf so I have a straight shot down the chimney but now I hope I haven't made the mistake of removing this out of my firebox. My firebox is 1/4" plate steel, the smoke shelf appears to be 1/8" steel. It is ok to cut a hole in the top of the firebox to accommodate the new liner? I will install the liner and it will be wrapped in insulation. I started cutting the top of the firebox yesterday and can see inside and see it is wrapped in steel sheet metal, probably 1/8". I guess if Ive screwed up I can weld this back in place.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Normally one cuts out part or all of the damper to make clearance. Is this not an option?

I have removed the damper from the smoke shelf. The shelf protrudes quite a bit though and I would like to have a straight shot down the chimney if possible. Is there a risk of cutting this out when I will be insulating the new liner and there is existing steel and gray masonry cement block currently installed?

It may be ok if this is a heatform with full masonry surround and the liner is fully insulated. Otherwise it's not uncommon to have a 15 deg. elbow at the stove to handle the angle.

PS: Welcome to hearth.com.

The best I can tell this is a Superior Heatform Fireplace. Smoke Shelf Question

The best I can tell this is a Superior Heatform Fireplace.
Yes you usually need to cut out some in those to get enough clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.