1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    can anyone tell me how i can do a smoke test to my stoves. a simple way to find the leaks of air.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Lots of people use incense sticks. Since I smoke I have always just passed a cigarette down all of the possible leak spots and when it passes one, with a good burn going, it sucks the smoke right in. The flame of a lighter or a candle will work the same way. Just don't let the stove melt the candle in your hand. The leak will pull the flame right toward it.
  3. HarryBack

HarryBack New Member

Loc:
    Western Massachusetts
    get a smoke bomb and close the damper....should be able to get one from any oil heat outfit.
  4. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

Smoke pellet. Stuff a rag in the exhaust light a smoke pellet and close the door.
    Another way is to wait till dark shut down all lights and place a 100 watt bulb in the stove.
    Close the door and walk around it to see the light leaks. For better results remove the flue
    insert 150 or 200 watt bulb in the flue exit stuff rags in and observe the light leaks
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    However, that won't work for stoves with glass doors unless one thoroughly masks off the glass with opaque material.
  6. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

I agree but it will point out leaks other than the glass area and door. But great point
    Masking tape and black crate paper will do the trick
  7. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Fill your stove full of water from the top , make sure you tape off the ash cleanout on the bottom. ........a.........I think i'll go to bed now. IF you have any problems call Elk .
  8. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    NOTE: the above statement was a JOKE only . .....................dont call Elk.

and ya might not want to fill your stove with water. ( even tho i have seen some stoves that looked like that had ) . carry on.
  9. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    one question roospike

if i fill my stove with water would that be considered a boiler and not a stove:)
  10. fbelec

fbelec Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern massachusetts
    these smoke bombs or smoke pellet does anybody have a brand name

thanks for the reply's. it's time for the defiant to get it's once over and cough
  11. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Ha , good question ............ i would think it would be a boiler but a cold one at that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.