Smoke test

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedarjunki

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2015
Upstate NY
Got bored sitting here today so i thought i would simulate a power outage to test the natural draft.
Old 25 pdv.
T off stove, up just shy of 4 feet, 90 degree thru wall about 30 inches or so, termination cap.
Slight breeze hitting the vent and oak head on. About 45 seconds after killing the power smoke started puffing out the airwash holes.. then continued to be more consistant... well i guess this setup isnt going to cut it in a real situation.
The breeze was enough to keep the flame going so i took a 2'x2' piece of aluminum sheet metal i had and covered the oak inlet to disperse the blow in..
Fastened it to the wall just above the inlet and bent it out and fastened it to the wall below it.. so it gets air thru the sides of that and then up thru the dryer type hood on the oak ...

Killed the power again to test that part and that worked pretty well. The wind actually picked up for me during that test. So thats fixed now on to the drafting issue..

If i explain how i cured the draft issue i wouldnt hear the end of it from most the people here.. ill just say this, i fixed it and re tested.
Shut it down while it was running again. No smoke. No smell of smoke. Was even able to open the door for a moment without any smoke entering the room.
All in all... much better. Just glad the wife was at work when i decided to do the initial test!

Last edited:
If i explain how i cured the draft issue i would hear the end of it from most the people here.. ill just say this, i fixed it and re tested

Well, now I'm curious... What did you do?

Well, now I'm curious... What did you do?
now i gotta know!

I exceded the carved in stone, written on paper, generic one size fits all general rule of evl for 3" vent. Yes, i am one of "those guys"
I have been researching online alot about these stoves since last spring when i got mine. Most manuals just say at an elevation up too 3000 ft an evl of 15 max for 3 inch..i have ran across one that stated 20 evl for 3 inch... other manuals for other brand stoves give an actuall chart for elevation vs pipe size vs length... so which is actually correct? Who knows.. i already had more than enough 3 inch pipe to do what i needed. So i exceded my manufacturers recommendations and raised my vent another 4 feet which puts me at about 20-21 evl with 3 inch. It is now the way i wanted it when i first started thinking about the install. I got all this pipe super cheap before i started doing any research. otherwise i may have gone with 4 inch and spent alot of money.
So i decided to go by the diagram i kept running accross, googled my address for elevation and decided to give a try.
So now we will have to see how bad it is going to be over time.. after seeing so many diff setups, reading about many problems and thier causes, watching videos of what some people have and have done... i dont think im going to see any problems.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-02-04-47-27.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-02-04-47-27.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
If you stayed at the EVL per that chart, I suspect you are fine. In fact, I think I am at about 17-18 on one stove with 3", and it has always been fine. But elevation is only 562'. The other chart is very generic, and a decent rule of thumb, but one 90 to go up adds 5', and if you have another at the top to go out and a 45' down termination, you're at 13' right there. Say 3' out horizontal and wham! You exceed the generic chart with your vertical, at 16' EVL. A 4' rise puts you at 18' (All that calculated from memory, so calm down folks if I'm off anywhere). Anyway, I use the same chart as you over the less precise one so often quoted (have quoted it myself once or twice, though, I'm sure). Elevation does matter.

If you stayed at the EVL per that chart, I suspect you are fine. In fact, I think I am at about 17-18 on one stove with 3", and it has always been fine. But elevation is only 562'. The other chart is very generic, and a decent rule of thumb, but one 90 to go up adds 5', and if you have another at the top to go out and a 45' down termination, you're at 13' right there. Say 3' out horizontal and wham! You exceed the generic chart with your vertical, at 16' EVL. A 4' rise puts you at 18' (All that calculated from memory, so calm down folks if I'm off anywhere). Anyway, I use the same chart as you over the less precise one so often quoted (have quoted it myself once or twice, though, I'm sure). Elevation does matter.

I get an elevation between 450 and 510 depending on which map source i use. Stove seems happy and havnt seen any difference at all. Seems more of a gimmic to make people purchase more expensive parts for no reason..

Status
Not open for further replies.