Smoke/ too many pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobgolf

Nov 24, 2019
Langhorne pa
Hi is there anyone that can tell me why is there a bunch of smoke before the fire starts? Not every time but noticed when it does there is too many pellets in burn pot. Is there a way I can adjust how many pellets fall before the fire starts? Thanks

usually smoke is from when the igniter is starting to light the pellets and they are just smoldering before full ignition. Once full ignition happens the smoke quickly burns off or gets shot out the vent,. Depending on the type of pellets and how efficient your igniter is and how the pellets drop out starting times can vary.. When i started burning this year my start times were up over 5 min if it lit at all. Changed pellets and im down to under 3 min every time.

Reactions: jackman and Bobgolf
usually smoke is from when the igniter is starting to light the pellets and they are just smoldering before full ignition. Once full ignition happens the smoke quickly burns off or gets shot out the vent,. Depending on the type of pellets and how efficient your igniter is and how the pellets drop out starting times can vary.. When i started burning this year my start times were up over 5 min if it lit at all. Changed pellets and im down to under 3 min every time.
Yes, it doesn't do it every time but haven't noticed when I change pellets if it does it. Yesterday I had smoked in there for almost a complete minute and when it lit it was unreal the flame was high and big. Is there a setting for how many pellets drop before the fire starts or no?

what make and model stove do you have?

Hi Bob like the others have said its normal to get smoke just before the pellets ignite. Now if the pot is overflowing and it just smokes that may be an issue.

Reactions: Bobgolf
Comfortbilt hp22

I would suggest that you download and read the igniter troubleshooting and adjustment guide from the comfortbilt web site:
https://www.comfortbilt.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Guide-to-Igniter-Testing.pdf

Basically the igniter should glow quite strongly. You can follow the instructions in the guide to test this. A quicker way to get an idea of weather your igniter glows strongly is to remove the burn pot and then start the stove with the hopper door open so it does not feed pellets. With the front door to the stove open,, after 2 minutes the igniter should be glowing bright orange.

Make sure there is no ash or pellets stuck in the igniter tube. If it glows well, check the position of the igniter as explained in the igniter guide. If the igniter is glowing properly and is properly positioned the pellets should ignite with minimal smoke.

Smoke can also be caused by an exhaust/air flow problem, exhaust fan issue or exhaust passages clogged with ash.

Too many pellets in the hopper is likely caused by slow igintion and this problem will clear up once the ignition issue is corrected.

Too many pellets in the hopper is likely caused by slow igintion and this problem will clear up once the ignition issue is corrected.
?????
Fire in the hopper probably not a good thing
Sorry, I am most likely the worst one for not proofreading!

?????
Fire in the hopper probably not a good thing
Sorry, I am most likely the worst one for not proofreading!

Whoops, I meant burn pot, not hopper. If the igniter does not light quickly, then it is best to empty the burn pot of pellets before trying again. You do want to be careful not to put any hot or glowing pellets back into the hopper.