1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djronv

    djronv New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    I recently moved into a house that has a Treemont TAC-260 wood stove insert. I had the chimney and fireplace cleaned and I tried to use the stove. I opened the primary and secondary dampers as stated in the owners manual, but the room keeps filling up with smoke instead of going up the chimney. What is the problem? I have no clue this is my first time using a wood stove. The smoke is coming through the holes where the primary damper is located directly above the loading door. Also the owners manual says "after the fire is ignited and burning briskly to close the secondary (back bypass) damper. HELP!!!!!!!!! :grrr:

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. elkimmeg

    elkimmeg Guest

    Sure sound like blockage. Did the cleaners take apart the connector pipe and clean that as well?
    Make sure the damper is wide open when starting and that all air inlets fully open position.
  3. djronv

    djronv New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Not sure if they took apart the connector pipe, but I do know that they removed the stove from the fireplace when they cleaned it.
  4. DavidV

    DavidV New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2005
    Messages:
    792
    Loc:
    Richmond VA
    Is this a catalytic stove? MJy appalachian did the same thing the first year because the cats were old and I was burning less seasoned wood. It blocked the cats up and then there was no place for the smoke to go. If it is a Cat stove, it sound like you are going to have to clean or replace the cats.
  5. saichele

    saichele Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2005
    Messages:
    540
    This is relatively simple, but you might try simply taking a wad of newspaper, more or less like a torch, and hold it in the firebox near the outlet to the chimney. watch the flame and the smoke. It seems likely you have a blocakage, but it's also possible you just have a really poor draft and have to et some air warmed inthe chimney before it'll take. I had a 1 story chimney on a fireplace that needed a little 'priming' before it would draw. if I just lit a fire the smoke didn't necessarily care if it came out the front or went up the chimney.

    How tall is the chimney? Is it lined or just masonry.
  6. begreen

    begreen Mooderator Staff Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2005
    Messages:
    49,075
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If the chimney isn't blocked, is the chimney on the outside of the house? That can cause no end of grief due to poor draft. I've had success with Steve's approach, but exterior chimneys are still a royal pain in the butt.
  7. djronv

    djronv New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2005
    Messages:
    3
    Steve thanks alot. I tried your method of "priming" the chimney and now I have a smokeless room. The fire went out after a few minutes but I guess I just have to fiddle with the draft controls until I get the right mixture. Thanks again. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page