smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattd81

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2007
ma
I just got a jotul 3cb my firsts stove! I hope i don't smoke the house up???? Are wood stoves smokey if used right???

No, absolutely not. The factors that make your stove work well without smoke in the house are the proper chimney setup for good draft, well seasoned and dry wood for fuel, and proper operation. Its important to meet all those conditions anyway, but when you do, smoke should never be an issue.

They will smoke the first couple of times as paints and oil cure off them.
After that, it is mostly a matter of having the right chimney - draft is what makes the smoke go up the chimney. That said, if someone does not like the smell of a little burning wood here and there...well, suffice it to say that you do get some smell in the house, but usually only a good one (comforting).

Don't know from experience but some folks here said their new Jotuls were stinkers during break-in firing.My matte black Regency off-gassed a bit for the first 5to6 burns, but an open window was enough to offset the smell.Enjoy that new stove matt.

mattd81 said:
will the black matte finish smoke when its new? I hope it won't be an issue?
Criag's right, you will get some smoke from the paint on the stove "curing" as you fire it up the first few times. Make sure you follow the break in fire instructions with your stove and you will want to be able to air the room out for the first few break in fires. As the stove gets seasoned, the paint curing will end and you should have no more issues with smoke. I used to have an employee who would come in to work every day reeking of wood smoke because she ehated her house with wood. :eek:hh: Naturally, I was a bit skeptical of wood heat from knowing her. I bought a house with a stove as the centerpiece of the house, started using it and realized it didn't have to be smoke machine. And new stoves today only smoke (after curing) when the chimney is not functioning correctly or the operator is not functioning correctly %-P

Status
Not open for further replies.