Smokey startup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you visually confirm with say binoculars that your cap is clear and not plugged? I assume it was cleaned from the bottom up and I've seen caps jammed full of crap from cleaning like that. If the sweep cleaned from the top down then never mind that suggestion.

Also on the front of the insert in the picture there's a brand label. Enviro maybe?

If an OAK is the answer to the start up woes, wouldn't opening a window or door nearby confirm that and make it easier to start? Conversely if opening a nearby door/window doesn't help at all doesn't that mean an OAK probably isn't going to solve the issue either?

I'd like to know how it's been cleaned and how long have you been burning this insert? Sorry if I missed these things already.

Edit* I see I'm reading sort of two different timelines here. How has the insert been burning for you? And I see you mention in your recent update that opening a door seems to help. Is that how you've been starting each time?

Was cleaned 6 months ago top down and bottom up. I notice when it burns that the smoke from the chimney runs out and then immediately down. There is a small stream/river nearby, it seems like there might be a continual draft that way. However, that's not there cause of the negative pressure.

I tried with a propane torch for 4 minutes but it didn't reverse the flow. Opening the door seemed to help but it's autumn now. In winter the negative pressure seems to increase.

Air leakage in the upper parts of the house can cause increased negative pressure as it gets colder. The cause could be a simple as a bedroom window cracked open for fresh air or more complicated like a leaky attic stair door or recessed can lights.

Reactions: Squisher
Air leakage in the upper parts of the house can cause increased negative pressure as it gets colder. The cause could be a simple as a bedroom window cracked open for fresh air or more complicated like a leaky attic stair door or recessed can lights.
There's nothing open, it's air leakage or bad insulation probably. But I'm trying to solve it in the downstairs area by the fire place. We often vacate this cottage during the week so in winter that means many days where cold air is just coming down the chimney increasing the heating bill. No easy solution I guess as the entire brick chimney is built on the outside of the house.

Top damper can't be used due to winter ice.

Last edited:
You need to find where the air is leaking out, in order to stop the air from coming in your chimney. Air isn't just forcing its way down your chimney. It's been drawn in by air leaking out of your house elsewhere. As Begreen said and pointed out some common things to look for and check. It's not a upstairs/downstairs thing. It's the whole house as a system.

You need to find where the air is leaking out, in order to stop the air from coming in your chimney. Air isn't just forcing its way down your chimney. It's been drawn in by air leaking out of your house elsewhere. As Begreen said and pointed out some common things to look for and check. It's not a upstairs/downstairs thing. It's the whole house as a system.
In winter when I hold my hand in front of the fireplace there is quite a strong draft... enough to move flakes on birch wood or move candle flames. That's quite a leak for a closed house (no doors or windows open).
Could air cycling in the chimney contribute at all?

Stack effect is what I believe you're fighting. Search up on reverse draft, stack effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.