Smokin / Milling Trees Lined Up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GolfandWoodNut said:
I am sure the wider the board the more fuel you use. How is Oak for milling? I have alot of white oak to do. It seems to go pretty quickly to cut the cherry(zap still doing some cherry), but after each board 1/2 a tank is gone, and it is a big tank.

Havent milled any Red Oak,White Oak (especially Bur Oak) can be tough at times.More time & effort than Black Cherry or Black Walnut,still a easier than Hickory or Honey Locust though.Milled a 24" Cherry 12' long from tree with broken top on property owned by friends of my parents in fall 1998,that stuff was a breeze in comparison.

Thistle said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
I am sure the wider the board the more fuel you use. How is Oak for milling? I have alot of white oak to do. It seems to go pretty quickly to cut the cherry(zap still doing some cherry), but after each board 1/2 a tank is gone, and it is a big tank.

Havent milled any Red Oak,White Oak (especially Bur Oak) can be tough at times.More time & effort than Black Cherry or Black Walnut,still a easier than Hickory or Honey Locust though.Milled a 24" Cherry 12' long from tree with broken top on property owned by friends of my parents in fall 1998,that stuff was a breeze in comparison.

Hickory half seasoned will cost you some time and gas....I was running one that was 5 mins a run. [youtube]http://youtu.be/pOJx-7A10zQ[/youtube]

Was at cousin's farm in NW Missouri yesterday for family reunion.This Osage from 1 of his hedgerows near north border of property has a straight section of stem 24" diameter & about 9ft long.Still havent decided whether to give him an offer for it.He'd probably let me have it for nothing,just spending $70 for gas,bringing all my stuff down there & making this a entire weekend project is the kicker.Its a 3hr drive,one way from me,about 162 miles roughly.Cheaper to buy the finished blocks on Ebay & from hardwood dealers I'm guessing.

Attachments

• osage4.jpg
    osage4.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 121
  • osage1.jpg
    osage1.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 119
Thistle said:
Was at cousin's farm in NW Missouri yesterday for family reunion.This Osage from 1 of his hedgerows near north border of property has a straight section of stem 24" diameter & about 9ft long.Still havent decided whether to give him an offer for it.He'd probably let me have it for nothing,just spending $70 for gas,bringing all my stuff down there & making this a entire weekend project is the kicker.Its a 3hr drive,one way from me,about 162 miles roughly.Cheaper to buy the finished blocks on Ebay & from hardwood dealers I'm guessing.

24inch hedge would be some sweeeeeeet slabs....(bar tops comes to mind) Very slow milling there. I know my 880 would have a long day!

lol my back hurts just thinking about it....

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I have the pdf file if you have a bigger email account. Save the hard back book!

SJ, I sent you a PM.

Monday A.M.!

smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I have the pdf file if you have a bigger email account. Save the hard back book!

SJ, I sent you a PM.

Monday A.M.!

All-righty, then! Me and my buddy will be ever thankful. I'm bringing him out a set of height-adjustable rests for making the first cut in heavily branched or crooked logs. I welded them up out of some used galvy tubing salvaged from a trashed temporary shelter. I'll post some pics if I get a chance. Real easy project if you have access to a small MIG. I bring him the rests and he loads my truck up with 3" pine slabs for making rustic benches. Not a bad deal, eh?

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:

SJ, I sent you a PM.

Monday A.M.!

All-righty, then! Me and my buddy will be ever thankful. I'm bringing him out a set of height-adjustable rests for making the first cut in heavily branched or crooked logs. I welded them up out of some used galvy tubing salvaged from a trashed temporary shelter. I'll post some pics if I get a chance. Real easy project if you have access to a small MIG. I bring him the rests and he loads my truck up with 3" pine slabs for making rustic benches. Not a bad deal, eh?

Not at all! The milling bible is a must for anyone of any expertize...

Status
Not open for further replies.