Smoking Osburn 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osburn2400

Hearth Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
Upper Michigan
I have burned wood for several years. The stove was always there and NEVER installed by me. We bought this house 4 years ago and it had a OLD Ashley "free-standing" fireplace. This thing was a beast! I bought (used) a Osburn 2400 freestanding fireplace from its original owner this season. Pipe goes out through the top. Rises about 21" to a 90, then 24 inches into wall where original house "brick" chimney with regular lining (whatever they put as a liner when new... clay?) straight through the roof. Chimney is in garage. Paid $200 for the stove (yeah, I think I stole it!). Owners were VERY neat people and cleaned it with a vacuum once every other month or so.

Anyhow, problem I am having and NEVER had with the other stove is smoke and ash all OVER the house. We can NOT open the door with-out either escaping! Our house is filthy with the ash. We are having to run our exhaust fan in the bathroom a LOT to clean out the smoke smell. And my poor Ionic Pro Air Purifier, goes to the clean cycle about every 4 days or so. I know that it is a drafting problem... but where?

The stove was loaded (when we bought it) by leaning back and then laying it on it's back, sliding it in the truck (had a blanket under it) then lifting it up-right. All bricks look good... I know there was a lot of insulation inside the top of the stove... and a metal plate that was over a large hole.

And second question... should I replace any parts on this stove. Former owner stated it was about 8 - 10 years old. They even had all the original paperwork with it (manual). For what I saved on the price of the purchase I would gladly replace things... especially if it would help

It sounds like something is impeding the smoke flow. First thing to do is download the manual for this stove. http://www.osburn-mfg.com/downloads.aspx?CategoId=1&Type=manuel (Note that there are two versions of this stove as determined by the model number.)
At the back of the manual it will have instructions for installing the baffle boards and blanket. This needs to be carefully checked. For sure these items got jostled by laying the stove on its back. You'll need to check to see that they are correctly back in place.

If all is in order, the next thing to check is the flue. Establish that the flue is clean and that the cap is not clogged. Make sure that the short horizontal pipe is heading uphill towards the chimney (at least 1/4" per ft.). While the sweep is investigating the flue for cleaning and safety, have him measure the tile liner size. If the cross-sectional area of the flue is too large, it's going to draw poorly. Other factors that might be contributing are the flue is very cold or too short. Is this an exterior chimney? How tall is it?

I will download the manual and look it over... the chimney is inside the garage and not sure how tall it is. We do have a single story house and the chimney comes out at the peak extending about 3 feet (+ or -) above the roof peak. I clean the chimney myself. Once in the fall and once during the January thaw. I have a square chimney and a square brush. thanks for your input! You brought up points that I would have NEVER thought of!

Status
Not open for further replies.