smoking silicone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboytrail

Nov 16, 2015
Las Vegas NV
Soooooo......yesterday (24 hours ago ) I sealed the stainless steel adapter to the cast iron wood burning insert and to the stainless steel flex pipe flue. After the forementioned 24 hours I fired up the Vermont Casting insert. I failed to mention that 48 hours ago I fired up the insert to see where I needed to seal my connections, having said that I discovered where the leaks were at the 2 connections and let the stove cool down and then applied the sealant and waited the 24 hours to cure. It now appears that I sealed the connections,however; the connections are still smoking and it appears to be the Rutland black high heat 600 degree RTV silicone sealant.....Not the aroma I was looking for. After burning wood for several hours it appears that the smoking silicone has stopped.Obviously I have a few questions. Is the smoking silicone usual. Shoule I have bought a higher degree rated siline and if so can I apply it over the existing silicone?

Stove pipe cement would be better. The pipe gets very hot.

Yep. Ya don't use silicone on a wood stove. It can't take the heat. I was testing for a suspected flue collar to elbow leak the other night and used silicone tape knowing what would happen to it. The first time the flue collar got to 700 degrees the stuff was toast. But answered my leak question.

Furnace cement is the tool for flue sealing. Pure silicone will go "poof" at 800 degrees. And stink.

PS: Wish I could make it out for the NFR next month. Came out every year for twenty years for it.

I believe Rutland also sells a stove cement that comes in a caulk tube. If there's anything left of the silicone you should remove it and use the cement as previously suggested.

Attachments

• 101_0592.JPG
    101_0592.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 101_0593.JPG
    101_0593.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 114
That stuff is fine on pellet stove pipes and I have some of it. But believe me, use the 2,000 degree furnace cement stuff.

That stuff is fine on pellet stove pipes and I have some of it. But believe me, use the 2,000 degree furnace cement stuff.
I chose it because the high temp silicone is only good for 500 degrees. I used some of that to "glue" my air vents on my hearth. saved drilling and putting anchors in the tile. I chose the direct vent sealant for my connector pipe cause it said its good for wood stove and is rated to 1200 deg 900 continuous. well that and it was the highest heat rating in a tube they had at my local mom and pop hardware store. it came out of the tube real thick and grainy more like a mortar than silicone. guess ill have to look around for the other stuff and put that in when I pull the connector pipe to clean the chimney.

Attachments

• 101_0594.JPG
    101_0594.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.