Smoking when reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapsx

Hearth Supporter
Apr 29, 2010
adirondacks
I need to make a "hood" if you will to catch the smoke and remove it when reloading the boiler. I know some of you have done this and was wondering what you may have used for a blower on the hood to get it done. How many CFM does it take to make it work?

Mucho CFM's are required for the reloading smoke if you're planning to reload mid-fire. I built a hood with a bathroom fan my first year to take care of a leaking upper door seal but that didn't have nearly enough power to suck smoke out during a poorly timed reload.

I have a 1,000CFM blower fan that will move enough air for this purpose but it's still not the best solution. Waiting for very little wood/only coals is the best way to do it.

Amazon.com has some nice blowers for good prices (with flex tubing matched to the blower). With the tubing and blower you could fashion a decent setup out of several materials or perhaps find a cheap kitchen style hood on craigslist to use.

Remember that the air a hood vent extracts from a home needs to be replaced. If the house is tight, a hood vent can potentially make the smoke roll out more of a problem (even a danger) since the vacuum it creates in the house can pull smoke and products of combustion back down the chimney.

cheers

cheapsx said:
I need to make a "hood" if you will to catch the smoke and remove it when reloading the boiler. I know some of you have done this and was wondering what you may have used for a blower on the hood to get it done. How many CFM does it take to make it work?
I had a metal fab shop build me a nice hood for my Paxo 60 . Was like 45 dollars for the metal hood. They even bent ears off to each side so I could hang it over my stove with threaded rod and had a 6 inch metal flange at the top of the hood.. I ran metal flex pipe to a ceiling flange and the a greenhouse turbo fan sucked the smoke out thru my side wall up in the attic. That had insulated metal flex pipe up in the attic. Had a timer mounted on my wall, I would just turn it on before loading and it would go off according to how long I set it for. Worked great. PM me with an email address , I send you some pictures of the hood.

I realize this isn't a hood.... but I'm having good luck with the Tjernlund draft inducing fan I put on the stove pipe. It works good. If you open the boiler with a full load and the fire is really rolling you will get some smoke coming out. But the rest of the time it works really good. And it helps on start up when you open the bottom door and only leave the upper door cracked.

This is the one I had built the other day, there is an 8" flange on it and I plan on using a high cfm attic fan. Im not at startup point yet so not tested but i'm sure it will work good.

Huff

Attachments

• DSC_0303.jpg
    DSC_0303.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 436
huffdawg said:
This is the one I had built the other day, there is an 8" flange on it and I plan on using a high cfm attic fan. Im not at startup point yet so not tested but i'm sure it will work good.

Huff
Looks good, mine was more a rectagular shape that went up to a funnel shape. But that should take out some smoke.

xclimber said:
huffdawg said:

Huff
Looks good, mine was more a rectagular shape that went up to a funnel shape. But that should take out some smoke.

It just looks square in the pic. but its 3'x4'

For you guys from the "hood".....

Be aware that all the air has to be replaced with air from outside. You are exhausting air that you have already heated and maybe if it works with your schedules, just trying to reload when only coals are present would be a better option.

think about this; Hood on + boiler door open = backdrafting chimney. Under the circumstances in the "equation" the chimney becomes the make up air inlet for the exhaust.

Same thing happens when you pull the house negative and have a barometric in the flue pipe. I'm just sayin that in some cases you may cause more problems than you solve. Be aware of unintended consequences.

heaterman said:
For you guys from the "hood".....

Be aware that all the air has to be replaced with air from outside. You are exhausting air that you have already heated and maybe if it works with your schedules, just trying to reload when only coals are present would be a better option.

think about this; Hood on + boiler door open = backdrafting chimney. Under the circumstances in the "equation" the chimney becomes the make up air inlet for the exhaust.

Same thing happens when you pull the house negative and have a barometric in the flue pipe. I'm just sayin that in some cases you may cause more problems than you solve. Be aware of unintended consequences.

Yes I thought about that and I think I will be fine . I Have a big window very close also a fresh air intake right under the front of my boiler. I dont like smoke at all and making sure I have a way to get rid of it.

Every time I read the title to this thread I think...

It's been decades since I smoked but even when I did, I never smoked while I was reloading. Gunpowder is way too flammable.

DaveBP said:
Every time I read the title to this thread I think...

It's been decades since I smoked but even when I did, I never smoked while I was reloading. Gunpowder is way too flammable.

Nice Dave. Nice.

LOL

henfruit said:
huff dog , you making pizza on the side?

"You making fun of my hood". FRUIT. Actually I make the best pizza you would ever eat. Maybe I could sell pizza to pay for that money pit. LOL

Huff

I am not making fun of it. It is quit nice for over a wood boiler looks like a resturant hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.