Smoky odor with top loader

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ControlFreak

Feeling the Heat
Jan 15, 2008
Holden, MA
I think I figured out why my Avalon Arbor sometimes leaves a smoky odor when it's running. I was thinking that the top cover gasket was leaking, because I could smell the odor coming from that area. But now I think that when loading from the top, sometimes debris from the wood will fall around the top cover gasket. When the stove heats up, this debris outgasses a smoky odor. Today when I fired up the Avalon Arbor, I was careful to blow any dust from the gasket area and it seems much better.

Anybody else have this issue?

I get zero smoke odor in the house from the Napoleon 1401.

I have had exactly what you described happen on a Encore and firelight top loader. Gotta keep the gasket track clean from debris.

top load in a basement could have some smell just from it being in the basement lowest part of the house and an easy place to get some smoke spillage on a top load may have more to do with your draft then something you are doing wrong

Yes, for sure with a top loader you need to check every time you load wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.