smooth wall flexible flue liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
I was looking at the liners at the Rockford website. The have the normal liners in all shapes and sizes. And they have a smooth wall liner.

Anyone use these liners?
They claim that increases airflow by 20%.
Disadvantages of them??

Heres a copy/paste:
Our Rock-Flex Deluxe Smooth Wall 316 stainless steel chimney liner is gaining in popularity due to its superior flexibility and increased BTU capacity. Its smooth interior design allows for more airflow, adding back the 20% drag factor that's lost in traditional corrugated liners. And since it's made of 7 ply 316 stainless steel and 2 inner linings (.013 total thickness), it's great for any application including wood, pellet, gas, oil, and coal burning appliances.You can use it with all of our round liner components. 100% stainless steel and 100% made in the USA with the highest quality stainless steel.

Note: Because of its special construction, smooth wall flexible liner cannot be ovalized or shaped in any way.

I was looking at the liners at the Rockford website. The have the normal liners in all shapes and sizes. And they have a smooth wall liner.

Anyone use these liners?
They claim that increases airflow by 20%.
Disadvantages of them??

Heres a copy/paste:
Our Rock-Flex Deluxe Smooth Wall 316 stainless steel chimney liner is gaining in popularity due to its superior flexibility and increased BTU capacity. Its smooth interior design allows for more airflow, adding back the 20% drag factor that's lost in traditional corrugated liners. And since it's made of 7 ply 316 stainless steel and 2 inner linings (.013 total thickness), it's great for any application including wood, pellet, gas, oil, and coal burning appliances.You can use it with all of our round liner components. 100% stainless steel and 100% made in the USA with the highest quality stainless steel.

Note: Because of its special construction, smooth wall flexible liner cannot be ovalized or shaped in any way.
If I remember correctly, I was told by the same folks that the draft difference between the two (smooth and regular (corrugated)) flex liners for a wood burning appliance is negligible. The smooth wall liner is double walled, costs more but does not really add any better performance for the wood appliance’s venting. I was worried about puncturing the single wall flex at a .005 thickness. But, when I asked them about the durability between the two, I was told they would last equally. I asked about the difference between the ability to withstand more btu’s, with regard to a chimney fire, and I was told the real benefits are for oil and gas venting because of the smooth inner wall surface provides a better draft. The best bet is to call them or the manufacturer, and ask your specific questions with regard to the two.

I just received my Heavy wall flex liner last night. It appears to be made by Olympia, says, "Forever Flex", "Armour Flex", and "Hybrid". It is very durable stuff but still very flexible. It does not have corrugation inside but it is not perfectly smooth. I will try and snap a few pics when I get home tonight. It is certainly more substantial than Easy wall flex. It also weighs more, my roll of "Easy" weighed probably 30lbs max. "Heavy" flex weighs approx. 70-80lbs (didn't weigh it but went by feel) for the same length pipe (25ft).

I just received my Heavy wall flex liner last night. It appears to be made by Olympia, says, "Forever Flex", "Armour Flex", and "Hybrid". It is very durable stuff but still very flexible. It does not have corrugation inside but it is not perfectly smooth. I will try and snap a few pics when I get home tonight. It is certainly more substantial than Easy wall flex. It also weighs more, my roll of "Easy" weighed probably 30lbs max. "Heavy" flex weighs approx. 70-80lbs (didn't weigh it but went by feel) for the same length pipe (25ft).
I was thinking of going with this heavy flex @ 18 gage but I understand it is very difficult to straighten or bend. I want to keep my fireplace damper for future options and I was told it would be difficult to put it through the damper. The extra money seems worth the piece of mind since the single wall flex is .005, .006, 13 gage (doubled). The website I remember said it was not flexible; where did you get yours from?

Last edited:
I was thinking of going with this heavy flex @ 18 gage but I understand it is very difficult to straighten or bend
no the heavy wall flex is more flexible than the lightwall stuff. The 2 ply smooth wall stuff in my experince is the least durable stuff on the market. Many times it is damaged in the install before you even use it. Regular light wall is fine but heavy wall is much more durable It is also smooth wall and more flexible

no the heavy wall flex is more flexible than the lightwall stuff. The 2 ply smooth wall stuff in my experince is the least durable stuff on the market. Many times it is damaged in the install before you even use it. Regular light wall is fine but heavy wall is much more durable It is also smooth wall and more flexible
Thanks. Where did you get your heavy flex from?

We get all our heavy flex from olympia but there are many other good manufacturers out there

Yep, mine is made by Olympia. I purchased online. Heavy Flex 304L Armor Flex/Hybrid from Woodlanddirect.com
And this is easy to flex but more difficult to compress. You can transition to short piece of easy flex to get through damper, just the sales people and they'll sell you a short piece. I am cutting my damper out, I won't be going back. The Heavy Flex is without a doubt a better product, honestly is feels 3 times thicker and so much more durable. Easy Flex almost has a tin foil feel to me. And it was a mere couple hundred bucks more.

You can transition to short piece of easy flex to get through damper,
Why would you do that? That bottom section is where you really need that extra durability. I totally agree with you otherwise but That one makes no sense to me.

Why would you do that? That bottom section is where you really need that extra durability. I totally agree with you otherwise but That one makes no sense to me.

I wouldn't, but it was an option when talking with the salesman on the phone. Like I said, I am cutting my damper out. So,.....no damper,........no need to narrow my pipe.

Why not use rigid liner?

My personal opinion, for my situation, was that a heavy flex was more appropriate. My flue is a masonry flue, built 2 yrs ago and used only last year. So it is in pristine condition. Throwing a rigid pipe in there would have resulted in much more expense, I still would need some flexible pipe to clear the smoke shelf, I would have to work harder to line it, and honestly, the heavy is probably more durable (my opinion of course).

Why not use rigid liner?
It is a pain to install and really is not much more durable than heavy flex. The pipe it self is more durable but you have all of the joints which even when done right with stainless rivets will eventually fail. Also if you have any curves at all it wont work.

I wouldn't, but it was an option when talking with the salesman on the phone. Like I said, I am cutting my damper out. So,.....no damper,........no need to narrow my pipe.
I know that but I dont know why a sales rep would ever suggest that. For one they should be recommending cutting the damper. Next they should not have you switch to a less durable product at the bottom where durability is most needed. And finally I am sure there is not ul listed system that allows you to combine heavy flex and light wall flex

Agreed. I think I even saw some supplier (can't remember which) when searching the net for liners, actually advertise this transition piece? I am in total agreement with you. I would not transition like that. Your pipe is only as good as it's weakest link.

Agreed. I think I even saw some supplier (can't remember which) when searching the net for liners, actually advertise this transition piece? I am in total agreement with you. I would not transition like that. Your pipe is only as good as it's weakest link.
I also observed one of the companies offering a "transition" piece in flexible liner. I looked for it but cannot find it as I found it by accident about a million pages ago. I have seriously considered rigid pipe but have decided on the heavy flex. Anyway, I find out this morning that many localities require parging of the smokebox. I cut my damper frame in a way that I, or someone else, can re-weld and repair it if necessary. I reckon I will order the the kit today.
IMG_2478.JPG IMG_2482.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang Iron, your firebox looks like mine! Exactly the same look except maybe mine is taller. I cut my damper just like you did! Use the Heavy Flex. I am not gonna say it was easy to install cause I'd be lying. It was work. You're talking about 70-80ish lbs on top of the roof....I did it with my 13yr old and 17 yr old daughters and my roof is metal! So my difficulties may be slightly more than the typical installer! We did it and I am so glad we did it the right way.

Dang Iron, your firebox looks like mine! Exactly the same look except maybe mine is taller. I cut my damper just like you did! Use the Heavy Flex. I am not gonna say it was easy to install cause I'd be lying. It was work. You're talking about 70-80ish lbs on top of the roof....I did it with my 13yr old and 17 yr old daughters and my roof is metal! So my difficulties may be slightly more than the typical installer! We did it and I am so glad we did it the right way.

CCMAC, I have been looking at the deluxe Terracotta swinging rain cap as I feel it compliments my chimney. Recently, I was told by a salesman at Rock that I cannot use this cap with the heavy liner; Woodland's salesman wasn't sure at first. The only cap I can use with the heavy liner is the domed 13x13 top plate, and the clamp, and the storm collar, and the rain cap. I am concerned and judging by the images, the storm collar does not fully enclose the clamp, so the transition appears exposed and or unprofessional. Can you post a photo of your finished job including the rain cap and storm collar/ clamp area? I will give you a thousand thank-you's for your efforts.

raincap.jpg

You'll have pics this evening. I'll make it priority. I have that same cap on mine.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Status
Not open for further replies.