Snow Blower Tires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Hey fellas. I have 2 snowblowers, single stage Toro that I used for this last blast and an 1990 vintage 2 stage Craftsman (made by MTD) I want to change tires on.

The Craftsman has a full gear box and will grind through about anything but it has smooth lawn tractor type tires that would be useless except that it came equipped with OEM chains for traction.

Thing is, I just redid my asphalt driveway and did an extensive paver job so I'd like to change out to some Snow Hog tires so I don't tear everything up but having trouble determining size.

The Model is: 247.886700
Tires say 13 X 6.5

I wouldn't mind changing rim/tire as a set but all I can figure out is the axle is 0.75 and no info aside from that. Any ideas what to do?

Last edited:
Hey fellas. I have 2 snowblowers, single stage Toro that I used for this last blast and an 1990 vintage 2 stage Craftsman (made by MTD) I want to change tires on.

The Craftsman has a full gear box and will grind through about anything but it has smooth lawn tractor type tires that would be useless except that it came equipped with OEM chains for traction.

Thing is, I just redid my asphalt driveway and did an extensive paver job so I'd like to change out to some Snow Hog tires so I don't tear everything up but having trouble determining size.

Tires say 13 X 6.5

I wouldn't mind changing rim/tire as a set but all I can figure out is the axle is 0.75 and no info aside from that. Any ideas what to do?

I would recommend surfing around snowblowerforum.com. There will be a lot of guys there happy to help. I’ve been a member there for several years. I’ll bet you can find lots of info with the right search words. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would recommend surfing around snowblowerforum.com. There will be a lot of guys there happy to help. I’ve been a member there for several years. I’ll bet you can find lots of info with the right search words. Good luck.

I did some searching over there but no luck. Guess I need to become a member.

I did some searching over there but no luck. Guess I need to become a member.

Finally had a chance to sit and try to do a little research on your tire question. One of the first search results that popped up was your new thread at snowblowerforum.com. Looks like it’s getting a bit of traction (no pun intended, seriously). Hopefully those guys can help you out. Best of luck!

Reactions: jatoxico
Would chains on a walk behind snowblower actually damage asphalt? I have a set on my Toro. But don't have any asphalt.
Yes they grind if a wheel slips and can remove material. That's not the end of the world. Worse is the new pavers.

Tires say 13 X 6.5

Can you get a tire like this and have them installed on your rims? Are your rims keyed or splined at the hub?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-01-07-18-50-59.png
    Screenshot_2018-01-07-18-50-59.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 198
Can you get a tire like this and have them installed on your rims? Are your rims keyed or splined at the hub?
Smooth bore 3/4" axle with a pin through rim/axle. The rims are 6" diameter and about 5" wide (tough to measure with tire on). Current tire is 13" tall by 6.5" wide.

I found some x trac's that fit 6" rim (I think). They are 13" or 15" x 5" wide (I think :confused:). I'm pretty sure they would fit even though they prob meant for 4" wide rim. Maybe should go for the taller tire since they may be a bit short my 5" wide rims.

Also found these; http://www.surpluscenter.com/Wheels...ion-Lug-Wheel-Assembly-w-Crosshole-1-3932.axd but would have to make up some spacers and I like the x-tracs better.

You can probably get away with the narrower tires if you run a tube for a 15x6 tire. I'd be hesitant to just run them without since the rims are almost 2" wider than what they're meant for and I could see popping the bead on a regular basis if the pressure drops.

Would chains on a walk behind snowblower actually damage asphalt? I have a set on my Toro. But don't have any asphalt.
They didn’t on my black topped driveway at my last home, I think the stuff is too cold to be gouged during the winter. But a motorcycle kickstand without a pad will always damage one during the summer... lol JFYI

Last edited:

Tires say 13 X 6.5

Hey jatoxico,

Did you ever find a solution for your tire situation?

Hey jatoxico,

Did you ever find a solution for your tire situation?

I have a set of wheels I want to order but they need spacers and the axle pins may be the wrong size so I'm holding off until I make a few more measurements. I did order an impeller kit I plan to install this weekend.

Regarding the chains they are rough on the driveway and would be worse on the pavers but that's not the only thing I don't like. They also cause the machine to bounce and hop around as it rolls. I think I'll be a lot happier without having them.

I have a set of wheels I want to order but they need spacers and the axle pins may be the wrong size so I'm holding off until I make a few more measurements. I did order an impeller kit I plan to install this weekend.

Regarding the chains they are rough on the driveway and would be worse on the pavers but that's not the only thing I don't like. They also cause the machine to bounce and hop around as it rolls. I think I'll be a lot happier without having them.

I think you will definitely be happier without chains. You will also be happy with the impeller kit. I put one on my older Ariens. I made it out of a commercial truck mudflap that I found on the side of the road. It was such a great improvement, especially on the slushy stuff. Good luck. Hope it all works out well. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
Impeller kit installed. Got the paddles in, shot the housing with fluid film to lubricate everything then ran it for a bit to wear everything in. Next stop, new wheels.

Reactions: saewoody
Correction, next stop new carb. Never been entirely happy w/ how it ran, runs decent but acts a little wacky here and there and throttle response is sluggish. Think something is up with the main jet.

Ordered new carb to pop on which should diagnose if it is in fact a carb issue and then I can do autopsy on the old one. Hopefully I'll end up w/ a good spare.

This is one of the impeller paddles. Added about 3/8" on avg. You can see how the tires would be pretty useless w/o chains. But it's a heftily built machine and has done pretty good in big snow. Have high hopes for the impeller mod.

Attachments

• snowblower2.jpg
    snowblower2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 183
  • snowblower1.jpg
    snowblower1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 171
  • snowblower3.jpg
    snowblower3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 190
New carb and fuel valve installed, gas cap replaced and shrouds/covers rattled canned so everything looks pretty. Few adjustments and it's running pretty good. Tire time.

Reactions: saewoody
New carb and fuel valve installed, gas cap replaced and shrouds/covers rattled canned so everything looks pretty. Few adjustments and it's running pretty good. Tire time.

Before you know it, you may have another addiction!

Before you know it, you may have another addiction!

I get the same satisfaction out of watching snowblower's at work videos as I do with the chainsaws! I really have to wonder about that. Used both the 2 stage and the single stage on today's surprise overnight storm. The impeller mod is a win.

I get the same satisfaction out of watching snowblower's at work videos as I do with the chainsaws! I really have to wonder about that. Used both the 2 stage and the single stage on today's surprise overnight storm. The impeller mod is a win.

Without question; that impeller mod is awesome. Watching YouTube videos is what led me on a search for a reasonably priced kinetic splitter. I was lucky enough to find one. YouTube videos are great, but dangerous all at the same time!

Reactions: jatoxico