1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Snow blower

Post in 'The Gear' started by chazcarr, Feb 11, 2013.

1. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY
    We have the "new" generation Deeres at the shop, We have STUPID problems with them. Steel Hydraulic lines blowing out, problems with fwd/rev. pedal switches, axle seals to name a few.
    The old cub, add some gas, check the oil and you were good to go!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    80 horses and 7 feet of snow blower will get it done. Always worked for me.
    snow 003.jpg IM000190.jpg IM000189.jpg
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Exactly, If the operator was unawares that he/she has broken a shear bolt, or sucked up the garden hose, it can get ugly fast.

I thought they looked like a beast at first too, then I took a closer look.

I also don't care for the solid sheet metal type auger flights. That's just so much more surface area for wet, sloppy snow to stick to and clog.

I'm not saying that your blower will self-destruct if you break a pin, but that design sure does make a lot of bad things possible that could not happen with a solid shaft. Bet replacing a damaged auger flight is a snap tho! :oops:

That statement just doesn't make any mechanical sense at all. Too much power = burning up belt under no load? ;lol
  4. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Other than a handful of recalls years ago, (The powersteering line was one of them...... :confused:) I've known the X7 series to be very trouble free.
  5. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    I have a 20 year old snapper and it would easily put light fluffy snow on the roof of the house.
    If I had to replace it today I'd probably spend $800-$900.00 just to not have dinky little tires .

I still like using the front end loader on the tractor even though it's pretty easy to rip up gravel.
  6. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    A lot of you guys sure do like driving in reverse.
  7. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Beats the hell out of a shovel. ;)
  8. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    That looks a heckuva lot like an old Oliver the farmer up the street from me has parked in his field this week. What is it?

Sure is hard to find a front-mounted blower of similar size for similar price, in most cases. Also, if you put the blower on the back, you can keep the loader on the front, and use them in tandem. That's my excuse, anyway.
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Usually much easier to mount/dismount a rear mount as well. Plow the roads and blow what you can't plow.
  10. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Yep... I have a buddy with the same Deere 855 as mine. I paid $2500 for my rear mounted blower, and he paid somewhere around $5000 for his front mounted blower. I can drop my rear mounted blower in about 60 seconds, and pick it back up almost as quick. It took about 10 minutes to remove his front-mounted blower last weekend, when we wanted to take his tractor into the woods, and I'm guessing he spent a lot more time than that getting it hooked back up after I was gone.
  11. Sean McGillicuddy

Sean McGillicuddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    It's all about having fun while doing a job you hate! :p
    [​IMG]

Sean
    P.S. My Tacoma has a plow and I have a 1976 Snow Blower!
    chazcarr likes this.
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Hey, isn't that a single stage blower? :p;)
    Joful likes this.
  13. Sean McGillicuddy

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    Ya you may be right!~ never thought of it that way, Leave it to the peanut gallery to see it that way!:p
  14. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    I'd say you have some serious liability issues! The lawyers are already working with potential clients as this is being written....
  15. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    So, is the assumption that your biggest problem, when being run over by the train, is the snow blower mounted on the front of it?
    MasterMech likes this.
  16. nate379

nate379 Guest

No, not really... the smallish 2 stroke units work great for cleaning off roofs that are flatish. Had a 46" single stage on a tractor that worked just fine. Took care of 2-3ft of snow at times.

MasterMech likes this.
  17. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

They are often used commercially too to clear walks and porches, etc. Plow guys loved that you could one arm them into the back of the truck, no ramps!
  18. nate379

nate379 Guest

Wow, did that thing come on the Mayflower? ==c

19. nate379

nate379 Guest

20. Butcher

Butcher Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. central Ia.
    Yeah, 1750 gasser.
  21. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
  22. nate379

nate379 Guest

I thought so, my grandpa had an 1855 diesel that is still on what's left of the farm. One of those things... never was anything "super" about the tractor, but it was his big tractor and it reminds me of him working the fields when I see one.... not exactly too common anymore either.

23. Sean McGillicuddy

Loc:
    Easton mass.
    Some pics of my 1976 blower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sean
    chazcarr likes this.
  24. chazcarr

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    Ariens seems like the way to go. Should I have reservations about buying them from Home Depot or the like?

I've heard rumors that the HD Ariens are actually lesser quality than other dealers. Perhaps that is just a lie independents use to keep steady business. I've heard the same thing about JD lawnmowers. The HD ones are knockoff imports and the REAL JDs are only at authorized dealers.
  25. chazcarr

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT