Snow coming for the N/E this weekend.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IHATEPROPANE said:
I have heard from multiple people only to use the highest octane in small engines. Won't damage the carbs like the regular stuff. I don't know if its accurate but thats what I use....time will tell

Horsehockey. Use regular grade unless manufacturer says premium is needed. If anything, the ethanol in the gas will degrade performance.

The octane rating has NOTHING to do with damaging anything, and if regular is all that's recommended, you will lose power using premium (unless the engine has knock sensors that will automatically bump up timing to increase power).

Too many "old wives tales" about running premium and how "it makes my engine have so much more power and runs better"....bunch of crap.

I was told some time ago that air-cooled small engines can overheat due to the use of high-test. Not sure if it's true, but I always run 87 octane in everything.

imacman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
I have heard from multiple people only to use the highest octane in small engines. Won't damage the carbs like the regular stuff. I don't know if its accurate but thats what I use....time will tell

Horsehockey. Use regular grade unless manufacturer says premium is needed. If anything, the ethanol in the gas will degrade performance.

The octane rating has NOTHING to do with damaging anything, and if regular is all that's recommended, you will lose power using premium (unless the engine has knock sensors that will automatically bump up timing to increase power).

Too many "old wives tales" about running premium and how "it makes my engine have so much more power and runs better"....bunch of crap.

Its not about performance and Octane but the ethanol and it causing damage. Probably because it attracts more water. May or may not help but for the amount of gas I buy a year I use the higher octane. And to the other post I have only seen warnings in manuals against using too low an octane.

IHATEPROPANE said:
Its not about performance and Octane but the ethanol and it causing damage. Probably because it attracts more water. May or may not help but for the amount of gas I buy a year I use the higher octane. And to the other post I have only seen warnings in manuals against using too low an octane.

ALL grades of gas have ethanol, so I don't understand your point.

My little outboard recommends 90 octane. Most of the others motors say 87 is the norm. Pretty sure its the ethanol causing the issues. Before they out this in the fuel I never had an issue with any of my small engines. Once the took out the MTBE and subbed ethanol is when all this crap started happening.

I gonna start hitting a station in NY that is ethanol free. 5 gallons will last most of the season for the little boat. We go for sunday rides any way, So I'm not going out of the way. Plus I won't need to buy the additives that ain't cheap. I'll pick up a second can and use that for the lawn mower/snow blower.

imacman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:

Yes they do(some gas stations do not contain ethanol in any grade), I guess the idea goes something like this....If the ethanol attracts water into the gas its gets diluted thus lowering the octane and causing problems. Some also say the higher octane gas is more stable with the additives so it will store longer. As I said before, all of my manuls say not to use less than 87 octane. If 87 gets diluted I guess it could be lower.. The 91 octane would have to get diluted more to go below 87.

Which grade of gas you use may or may not make a bit of difference. But since 91 won't hurt it any more, I choose to use it.

There is a site that will show you the none ethanol stations in your area. Problem is none are in CT. I think CT has some rule that says they need to add it?

IHATEPROPANE said:
....Some also say the higher octane gas is more stable with the additives so it will store longer......

Once again, a bunch of horsehockey. Octane has nothing to do with shelf life. All grades will degrade virtually the same. But if you choose to use the premium, so be it. Spending $$ needlessly

imacman said:
IHATEPROPANE said:
....Some also say the higher octane gas is more stable with the additives so it will store longer......

Once again, a bunch of horsehockey. Octane has nothing to do with shelf life. All grades will degrade virtually the same. But if you choose to use the premium, so be it. Spending $$ needlessly

Yup probably doesn't make a difference....but thanks to pellets I have money to burn!

I have always used 87 octane in my stored gas cans.

I never saw the reason to use anything higher until recently.
While re-building my Stihl MS-310 Chainsaw I came across this little blurb in the manual.

See Page 28.
http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/ms290_310_390_manual.pdf

It recommends mid-grade (89 Octane) fuel.

Just saying...
---Nailer---

imacman said:

That must be regional, because in THIS locale all 91 octane has no ethanol.

Its even stated on the pump. I'll take a pic next time if I remember.

All the small engine shops recommend 91 for this reason.

woodsman23 said:
12" here and still snowing and 12*

Too bad.....nothing here, nothing on the ground......just a little cold (27 °F )

That's what you get for making fun of SlickPlant. ;-P

Meanwhile, back from Killington, great skiing till 1 pm, not much snow but loved those cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.