snow covered???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fitter9

Oct 10, 2013
central jersey
i have around 2 cords of split mixed hardwoods in a pile in my yard. i didn't get around to stacking it before it got covered in snow. its been snow covered since the beginning of january. this is the first winter i can remember in new jersey that we have so much snow on the ground for so long. the wood has been bucked for over a year and split for around 4 months. I'm wondering if it will be dry by the 2014/15 season????

I would say it will most likely be good to go next fall ... depends a lot on the weather this spring and summer, how you have stacked the wood (loose stacks vs. Tight stacks, single row vs double row, exposure to Sun and wind), size of the splits and species (oak will most likely not be ready.)

My rule is to split immediately. Everybody likes bucking up logs, splitting not so much. It don't dry (much) till it's split.

Reactions: PapaDave
You are doing the wood no favor by letting it sit in a pile buried under snow. Any wood that is in contact with this wet heavy snow is probably wetter than it when the first flake fell. The bottom of the pile is probable very wet also. On the other hand this past fall was bone dry so you probably made some gains then. You might want to get out there with a shovel and get as much of the snow off the pile as you can. Then get is stacked up as soon as you can and hope for the best.

i have around 2 cords of split mixed hardwoods in a pile in my yard. i didn't get around to stacking it before it got covered in snow. its been snow covered since the beginning of january. this is the first winter i can remember in new jersey that we have so much snow on the ground for so long. the wood has been bucked for over a year and split for around 4 months. I'm wondering if it will be dry by the 2014/15 season????

No way of answering that. You did not even say what kind of wood it is. Mixed hardwoods doesn't say much. That could be willow and cottonwood for all we know. In addition, we do not know how you intend on handling the wood once the snow is gone.

Reactions: paul bunion
Status
Not open for further replies.